Newbie questions

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

corwin3
    (3/20/02 8:28:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Newbie questions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey all, I just purchased a TC Hawken and an Uberti 36 cal Navy. Yahoo!! I am excited about learning a new hobby and meeting people.

My question is this, What is the proper way to clean them. I have read hot soapy water, cold soapy water, waterless....
    Needless to say I am a little confused.

Thanks in advance

rik corwin

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/20/02 8:58:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Newbie questions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you use water to clean your weapons you will need to oil them to keep them from rusting. I use the various liquids that I bought at a gun shop. However my rifle is stainless steel.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/21/02 7:46:38 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Newbie questions
    The traditional method is hot soapy water, but you have to be extra meticulous to completely dry the piece and reoil. There are modern black powder solvents on the market now that are a much better choice, but remember you still need to be very thorough and diligent in your cleaniing practices, more so than with smokeless guns.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

Hangfire
    (3/21/02 11:40:28 am)
    I use black powder solvent most of the time. Every so often I get a bucket of hot soapy water, put the breech into it, and draw the water in and out with a patched jag. Then I dry real well and then oil the heck out of it. My best advice is to clean it right after you are done shooting, because black powder residue attracts moisture. Good luck and have fun with your new toys.

corwin3
    (3/21/02 9:52:27 pm)
    Which solvent do you recommend? I have seen the Pyrodex advertised. Also how do you get into the breech to make sure it is cleaned? Would a brass brush do the trick?

Thank you for the response

rik

Recon1976
    (3/22/02 12:15:41 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del ?
    ?

Hangfire
    (3/22/02 9:23:44 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: ?
    I use a brass brush as well. I also remove the nipple before I start the bucket process. It seems to work well, I haven't had any ignition problems in the dozen or so years I have been shooting my Hawken.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/22/02 12:27:42 pm)
    When useing black powder I always used hot soapy water to start with and then dried everything in the oven. Then cleaned it with normal cleaning solvents and oils. If you are going to shoot pyrodex you will not need to go to such extremes as it is much cleaner.

I know one guy who used to take his black powder guns in the shower with him.

corwin3
    (3/22/02 1:33:26 pm)
    I wonder what kind of conditioner he used?

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/25/02 10:26:25 pm)
    When I started shooting BP, I bought some Spit Patch for my patches, and just because it was right next to it, some Spit Bath to clean...

Both work fine for me, so I use them both still. Haven't tried anything else.

The Spit Bath can be used on a patch every 5 shots or so to clean fouling when shooting, then again for a good cleanup after...will remover fouling well, and coat the barrel good enough to keep from rusting for a short period, if you are going to shoot soon, like during the hunting season...

But if going to store, I oil too.

Once a year at least I use the soapy hot water bath...fill up the sink, take apart the rifle, stick the rod with a patch on the end of the jag all the way down the barrel, stick the end with the flashhole in the water, and draw the water and soap up through the barrel ten times or so...my wife loves it when I push it back down too hard with the barrel out of the water and spray black crap out the hole all over the kitchen...

Then oil heavily...just be sure to dry patch it out again before shooting again...

And I shoot a flintlock, a 1860 Army replica, and my sons .50 caplock.
    "Don't hear him call you an @sshole, hear WHY he's calling you an @sshole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

rjjrwi
    (4/14/02 8:18:47 am)
    any of you other guys tried cleanshot powder yet , i did last fall in my 54 cal T/C hawkens and also my T/C encore 209 / 50 cal sure is easier to clean and shooting alot more fun as their is less fouling between shots. I also tried the new CVA power belt even in the hawkens it shot great , so if you haven't tried them ( the CVA power belt ) you should because they load easier and for me shot better
  2. cashhere

cashhere New Member

I guess I am the weird one, I have shot about 1.5 lbs of FFF Black Powder in my CVA Hawken and I have never once used any water to clean, I use the bore butter (with patch) and I do use a flat scraper that fits on my rod, that clears the rear seat area of the barrel. I do use a brass brush sometimes. I do remove the nipple when doing a full service cleaning. I can never hear the cap when I fire only the big boom. My rifle show absolutely no pitting or rust and the barrel is as slick as a whistle. I bought this new about 9 or 10 yrs ago. Am I the only one who does not use soap,water or some expensive solution??