Newbie w/Lefever 410 value question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by sweetokole, Dec 26, 2009.

1. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

Hello and Merry Christmas to all... ran into this site trying to research a little SS 410 I inherited from a friend who passed several years ago. It is a Lefever Nitro in 410 gauge with 26" barrels... double triggers 14" to the fwd one and 13" to the rear Pachmayr pad. All the numbers match. Action seems tight and bore is shinny... may need cleaning. It appears to have been reblueand the stock refinished (non professional)... checkering flat and varnish worn in spots. Butt stock has a long 4" crack on the right side extending from the receiver. I am not attached to the piece and if someone would like to provide a new home at a fair price, I am open to offers. I can take/send pics to anyone seriously interested.

Thanks for you input.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Price is hard to say with it being reblued and unprofessional finish and a cracked stock. One in 100% condition is worth about 2700.00 dollars b/c being a 410 it has collect ability not b/c it is a great SG. A Nitro model of 12 or 20 GA in the condition you described is only worth 75 bucks. Unfortunately with what has been done you would expect considerably less and the collect ability is lost. Post some pics or PM me pics we'll get it figured out.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  3. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

Thanks for you help... I will get some pics and PM them to you.
  4. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

sweetokole, To upload photos to this thread:

1. click "Go Advanced" (below)

2. click "Manage Attachments" on the page that opens

3. click "Browse" to find the photos on your hard drive.
  5. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

Thanks.

Attached Files:

6. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

Thanks.. seems to work great!!!
  7. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Lefever Arms Co. was founded in Syracuse, NY in 1884 by Dan Lefever. When Dan was forced out of his own company in 1901 he founded DM Lefever Sons & Co., which later folded after Dan died in 1906. The original Lefever Arms was purchased by Ithaca Gun Company in 1916, and they continued to manufacture high quality guns with sideplates. Around 1921, however, the company also began producing economy, box-lock shotguns, of which I believe yours is one (perhaps a Nitro Special).

Nevertheless, if your gun were in excellent condition it might bring as much as $1,200.00 given that it is 410 bore. Unfortunately, the recoil pad, cracked stock and unprofessional refinishing destroys collector value. As a shooter, it may bring $300 or $400 depending upon the buyer's concerns about the stock.

I suggest that you have the chambering measured by a gunsmith so as to determine what shot shell length is proper for that gun. This will be a question most buyers will have.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  8. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

Thanks for the info... sounds like I have a wall hanger.
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Not totally true but before it is shot, those things that Contenderizer posted do need to be checked and repaired.
    It is a shame on the refinish but I'm sure it was done in good faith. Hindsight is 20/20