Newbie wants to buy a knife

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by wonderwhippet, Jan 30, 2005.

1. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I am sick of these stainless steel blades which won't take a sharp edge, so I am looking for a folding clip knife with a carbon steel blade. Does anyone make such a knife?
  2. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

I have a Columbia River Kinfe & Tool (CRKT) and it holds a razor edge for quite some time. A medium sized mid ranged knife will cost you 40 to 60 bucks. Some more, Some less.

I like mine...
  3. offeror

offeror New Member

Some Kershaw, Buck and Gerber brand folders advertise "high carbon stainless steel." The term "stainless" seems to include a variety of additive/alloy recipes. And if stainless can be high carbon and still be stainless, how absolute can the term "carbon" be?

My $10 Mora knives are carbon steel. Frankly, I wish they made a folder.
  4. z537z

z537z New Member

If you're looking for something that'll hold an edge, you're probably looking at a lot of money for a well-made knife.
    There are a lot more high-carbon steels besides your basic Kabar 1095. If you're looking for really kick-butt stuff, try Benchmade's 154CM. VG-10 is proving to be a good buy, too. Al-Mar makes a few in this, can't think of others right now.

D2: Benchmade makes a couple (e.g. Nimravus) in this stuff, tough to dull, though more breakable; semi-stainless.

There's other tough stuff out there. AUS-10, AUS-118 (CRKT), trusty old 440C (S&W), S30V, etc. etc. etc.

Do some research!

Good luck

_z
  5. lead

lead Active Member

I have a Bucklite folder that I bought in 1985. It is stainless and still one of my sharpest knives. I've been a Buck knife fan ever since.