Newbie's loads for 41 magnum

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by NEILT, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I'm sorry 410, Don't take this as me singling you out.
    I'm just defending a tool that works just as well as any other tool...when used properly. :)

Ahh...but there is a variance.
    If you do not operate the handle with the exact same technique every time (speed of movement, how hard/soft you clunk the handle at both ends of the throw, etc) you will throw inconsistent charges. Try it and see.

Yes, a good powder measure can throw a consistent charge of +/-0.1gr...as long as the operator technique is consistent. If technique varies, so will the volume of powder thrown.

Yes they are. I can throw charges at +/-0.1gr with both the Lee dippers and my homemade brass/copper dippers. Again, the key is consistent operator technique.

The only drawback to the Lee dipper set is the lack of adjustability/selection that LD mentions. You're stuck with a fixed selection of volume choices to chose from.
    That's why I've got a handful of homemade dippers custom-tailored for my favorite "pet loads". This is how I load 90% of my pistol ammo.
    My Redding mainly gets used for rifle loads.

And yes, I do agree with LD about the need to use a scale in conjunction with whatever volumetric measure you chose to use.
  2. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

Binder: I completely agree and should have been more clear; the dippers are harder to be consistent with (for me) and a good stationary bench measure is easier to produce good repeatable results IMO. One must always check their loads with a scale.

I have a set of LEE dippers that I regularly use in conjunction with my scale/dispenser; but only to reduce the fill time of the pan with big charges of stick powder. I understand about being consistent in filling the scoop and striking off the top but it never really worked out for me. My measures all deliver .1 grain accuracy for me.

I knew a benchrest smallbore competition guy from our club and had occasion to see his setup. He used a measure as well to load for his rifle; a .221 fireball if I remember correctly. He was in the 1/10th m.o.a. club: 40 rounds at 100 meters in less than 1/10th inch (his was .085) in competition. I don't remember what powder he was using but he was loading by volume. I prefer to use a scale and I use mine for every round of rifle ammo I load. In the pistols using flake powders, a measure with periodic check-weights is sufficient for me.