1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Newbie's loads for 41 magnum

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by NEILT, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I'm sorry 410, Don't take this as me singling you out.
    I'm just defending a tool that works just as well as any other tool...when used properly. :)

Ahh...but there is a variance.
    If you do not operate the handle with the exact same technique every time (speed of movement, how hard/soft you clunk the handle at both ends of the throw, etc) you will throw inconsistent charges. Try it and see.

Yes, a good powder measure can throw a consistent charge of +/-0.1gr...as long as the operator technique is consistent. If technique varies, so will the volume of powder thrown.

Yes they are. I can throw charges at +/-0.1gr with both the Lee dippers and my homemade brass/copper dippers. Again, the key is consistent operator technique.

The only drawback to the Lee dipper set is the lack of adjustability/selection that LD mentions. You're stuck with a fixed selection of volume choices to chose from.
    That's why I've got a handful of homemade dippers custom-tailored for my favorite "pet loads". This is how I load 90% of my pistol ammo.
    My Redding mainly gets used for rifle loads.

And yes, I do agree with LD about the need to use a scale in conjunction with whatever volumetric measure you chose to use.
  2. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

Binder: I completely agree and should have been more clear; the dippers are harder to be consistent with (for me) and a good stationary bench measure is easier to produce good repeatable results IMO. One must always check their loads with a scale.

I have a set of LEE dippers that I regularly use in conjunction with my scale/dispenser; but only to reduce the fill time of the pan with big charges of stick powder. I understand about being consistent in filling the scoop and striking off the top but it never really worked out for me. My measures all deliver .1 grain accuracy for me.

I knew a benchrest smallbore competition guy from our club and had occasion to see his setup. He used a measure as well to load for his rifle; a .221 fireball if I remember correctly. He was in the 1/10th m.o.a. club: 40 rounds at 100 meters in less than 1/10th inch (his was .085) in competition. I don't remember what powder he was using but he was loading by volume. I prefer to use a scale and I use mine for every round of rifle ammo I load. In the pistols using flake powders, a measure with periodic check-weights is sufficient for me.