newby question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wally bennett, Mar 17, 2012.

1. wally bennett

wally bennett New Member

I am helping a friend who is expecting new CZ varnint in 223rem in the next week but i have heard many ways to correctly shoot in a new barrel and cant get on to any CZ sites for the information
    Can any of you lads and lassies and thoes whi dont know what they are help in this

I myself shoot a Ruger 77/22Hornet all weather fitted with a Pac-Nor stainless 24" tube in 17A/H
    This is a switch barrel gun and can go bact to a 22H in about 40 minutes
    I also use a 17hmr ( my granddaughters )and a 22lr depending on range of expected targets. I dont shout group just minnet of rabbit or fox.
    In the past i have held two 222rem 243Win and many shotguns from 410 up to 10guage but now only have 12 guages
    I live in Gods country NORTH WALES UK
    Wally
  2. ignats

ignats Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "shoot in a new barrel" but I suspect you are comparing it to wearing a new pair of shoes or driving a new car. It's not the same thing and I see no reason not to start shooting the same as you would any other firearm. Use proper ammunition and off you go. Have fun.
  3. wally bennett

wally bennett New Member

Sorry ive not made it clear its a brand new unfired CZ 223rem. some people go shoot one and clean for 5 shots and then shoot 3 and clean for 5 more groups of shots but some say put 25 shots before you clean it and then 25 more and clean
    I cant find out what the recomended way is from CZ HOME MY SERVER WONT CONNECT TO MIT

wALLY
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF wally bennett!
    I'm not sure what CZ says about breaking in the new rifle, but like any other
    new rifle, I'd clean the rifle well before even firing a shot through it.
    Then I'd fire one round and clean and then a 3-5 shot group and clean again.
    After another 10-15 rounds I would clean it again. With the right ammo that the
    rifle likes I'f see how it was holding groups and let the barrel get foulded and give it
    another cleaning. Just my opinion and I hope others will add to this that may be
    a bit better was of braking in a new rifle.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  5. wally bennett

wally bennett New Member

Thats the way i would do it clean first then one shot and clean 5 times then 3 shots and clean 5 times but the gun dealer who has sold him the gun said just shoot it 20/25 times and clean it but i am extremly unhappy with that on my 5 rifles that i had from new i always shoot one and clean ect and as yet have had no trouble with any of them
    With my main rifle a 17A/H pAC-NOR STAINLESS i have yet to find any signs of copper after about 3,000 rounds but i only load to 3,650ft/sec with 20 gr bullets

Wally
  6. kelly

kelly New Member

Way too complicated and not necessary. I have a CZ 550 American. I just cleaned it and shot it. I never clean it until hunting season's over. Always been deadly accurate.

I guess, if some sort of "barrel break in" gives you more confidence with a rifle, then do what makes you happy.
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The whole barrel break-in concept is sort of a good way to start an argument anywhere. Like breaking in a new engine...

Everyone has their own idea on what's right. And personally, I think they've all got merit. As long as the rifle settles in to grouping how you want it to, then the job is done.

Me?
    I start clean with any new barrel. I'll fire 5 shots, clean, another 5, clean, etc for the first 20rds. After that, I usually stretch the interval out to 10rds and will stick with that until I've got a couple hundred rounds through the rifle. By that time, I figure if there are any imperfections in the barrel they might be lapped out...and if they're not by that time those imperfections are gonna be there for quite a while so I accept em for what they are.

I don't believe in using any of the bore-lapping systems. My feeling on em is why should I accelerate the wear on the barrel by intentionally running grit down it.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012