1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Newby ?'s

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

mikentn
    (3/18/02 12:41:22 am)
    Reply Newby ?'s
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just found this forum and have spent the last couple of hours going back through all the posts with great interest. With all the experience here, I hope you will help point me in the right direction. I want to try to build a "tricked up" 10/22. I plan to use this rifle both for hunting and for fun target plinking. I would really like to have a rifle capable of shooting tight groups without having to "hock" one of the kids, and feasibly light enough to take out and pop the eye of a squirrel. I am not a gunsmith, nor do I have a fully stocked machine shop. With all the component stocks, barrels, trigger parts, etc., etc., that are available, I am totally confused about which are junk, which are good, and which are too good (too expensive for my use). And, where can I find the how-to info. I'll need (having never done this). I guess I've asked a ton of ?'s. As I said, I know from all the posts I've seen here that you guys have the knowledge to help get me going. BTW, I don't have my 10/22 yet. Since I'm really only going to use the receiver, should I just get a "Walmart basic 10/22 to start??

Thanks for your advice!!!!!

Mike in TN

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/18/02 6:40:03 am)
    Reply Re: Newby ?'s
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Mike from TN, and Welcome to the Firearms Forum.

I found myself in your shoes a while back. After reading about the accuracy achieved with the "drop-in" parts, I set out to build 1. Well, actually with the advice from Liktoshoot and personal Coaching from "Shooter45" I'm there

I traded for a 10-22 (I got it from Blackgun), I got my Blaster Stock from "Boyds", 18" Green Mountain Heavy Barrel from White Mountain Barrels, Shooter45 got my Power Custom Competition Titanium set ( adjustable trigger, matched set trigger/sear, spring set, Buffer, Extended Bolt release) from Midway. I found my Scope at a on-line auction (another Member now DrXRing) Tasco TG6x24x44.

Now ask yourself how much money do I want to spend?
    Like it will help, because it's a blast building

A WalMart 10-22 is a good start, unless you can find 1 less expensive. And build from there. I understand you are looking for something lighter, so you could go with the composite stock and Fiber-resin barrel, for example a Butler Creek.

You've come to the right place.
    Ask away... We're here to help!

Edited by: Zigzag2 at: 3/18/02 5:05:27 pm

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (3/18/02 7:13:53 am)
    Hi Mikentn, welcome to the board. Keep us posted on your project.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/18/02 9:19:18 am)
    Hi mikentn......welcome to TFF.

Sounds like a fun project.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/18/02 1:21:00 pm)
    Welcome! You might cruise the old threads in here, then see if you have any other questions. The 10/22 is a lengthy subject when just starting, but we`ll help as much as possible. Regards LTS
    T.F.F.