Newer law (Jan 2010) you might not know

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by RunningOnMT, Aug 3, 2012.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I don't know if this has been posted before or not, but here it is, just in case.
    THIS WAS ON THE LOCAL NEWS LAST NIGHT---THE FINES CAN REACH UP TO
    $1050.00 AND YOU AUTOMACTICALLY LOSE YOUR LICENSE FOR A YEAR--SO TELL YOUR KIDS AND EVERY ONE YOU KNOW WHO DRIVES---ESP THRU IOWA.

NEW DRIVING LAW =ALL STATES (Very Important!)

While driving across Arizona a few weeks ago, I observed an Arizona Highway patrolman parked on the side of the freeway with his lights flashing for no apparent reason. I soon reasoned that he was probably waiting for some unsuspecting soul to violate the new law. Beware my friend.

I received this today. From the size of that fine it seems like it would be best to slow down to 20 MPH under the speed limit AND move over.

Subject: NEW DRIVING LAW (Very Important!) I was aware of the move over to outer lane and knew to slow down, but I didn't know about the 20 mph under speed limit. Thought maybe this might be good information to pass on.

Someone added: This happened to my aunt on the four lane right outside of Dyersburg , TN a few months ago. Her ticket was over $300 and it cost her three points on her license, too. A state trooper and a county cop had someone else pulled over. She slowed down and moved over a little, but
    not all the way into the other lane. The trooper wasn't understanding at all. Mom was with her and she didn't know about the law either.

NEW TRAFFIC LAW - 2010 If a patrol car is pulled over to the side of the road, you have to change to the next lane (away from the stopped vehicle) OR slow down to at least 20 mph under the posted speed limit. Every state except Hawaii and Maryland and the D.C. has this law. In California , the Move-over law became operative on January 1, 2010 .. http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

A friend's son got a ticket for this recently. A police car (turned out it was two police cars) was on the side of the road giving a ticket to someone else. He slowed down to pass but did not move into the other lane. The second police car immediately pulled him over and gave him a ticket. He had never heard of the law. It is a fairly new law that states if any emergency vehicle is on the side of the road,
    if you are able, you are to move into the far lane. The cost of the ticket was $754, with three points on his license and a mandatory court appearance. Please let everyone you know who drives about this new law. It is true (see details at the following web addresses). This same law applies to tow trucks and medical emergency vehicles like ambulances on the side of the road.

http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/moveover.asp
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I knew it was a law now, but didn't know about the size of the fine! That's crazy!
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

dang... didn't know it was 20mph... the signs here just say move over OR slow down, it doesn't state how much.
  4. dbrodin

dbrodin New Member

I call BS.

The Feds do not have jurisdiction over roads except as they affect "commerce", so the "all states" is questionable. MN has the following two laws on the books. They have a normal fines double clause attached to them.

Subd. 3.Reduced speed required.

(a) The driver of any vehicle shall, consistent with the requirements, drive at an appropriate reduced speed when approaching or passing an authorized emergency vehicle stopped with emergency lights flashing on any street or highway, when approaching and crossing an intersection or railway grade crossing, when approaching and going around a curve, when approaching a hill crest, when traveling upon any narrow or winding roadway, and when special hazards exist with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions.

Subd. 11.Passing parked emergency vehicle; citation; probable cause.

(a) When approaching and before passing an authorized emergency vehicle with its emergency lights activated that is parked or otherwise stopped on or next to a street or highway having two lanes in the same direction, the driver of a vehicle shall safely move the vehicle to the lane farthest away from the emergency vehicle, if it is possible to do so.

(b) When approaching and before passing an authorized emergency vehicle with its emergency lights activated that is parked or otherwise stopped on or next to a street or highway having more than two lanes in the same direction, the driver of a vehicle shall safely move the vehicle so as to leave a full lane vacant between the driver and any lane in which the emergency vehicle is completely or partially parked or otherwise stopped, if it is possible to do so.

Dale
  5. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Arizona passed this law a year ago. Yes, if on a single lane road you have to slow down drastically or move into oncoming traffic for officer safety. If on a multi lane road, you must move into the next lane of traffic. I was pulled over for the very same thing, however my uniform and Sgt stripes got me a butt chewing instead of a ticket, and I had never heard of this law.
    It IS true in AZ, I have no idea about nationwide, and would find that hard to believe after the demise of the 55 MPH speed limit.
    Officers have been hit by careless drivers while doing roadside traffic stops, so I understand the point, this really is for officer safety. Be careful, and err on the side of caution.
  6. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

Ohio has this law.
  7. Sig Willy

Sig Willy Member

I for one did not know about this law. Thanks for the heads up but I usually slow down or move over for my concern over their safety. That's just me and I'm glad I did right.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

nickle and dime ... they'll weed out a lot with this and they'll have more similar on the books soon , how they play

sorry
  9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

Florida is a move over state. and a lights on when using wipers state. and a double fine even when no workers present state. and a... well, you get the idea. anything for a buck. although the way they drive here the move over is a good idea.
  10. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

11. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

I have seen alot of near miss accidents by folks who are trying to comply with this stupid law. They will try to squeeze into really congested traffic or will hit their brakes unexpectly. There are alot of drivers out there that don't fully understand the word safetly.:eek::confused::rolleyes::eek: