newkahr ww2style 1911 and questions about 1991 series 70

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 8, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Andrew
    (2/14/02 10:58:02 pm)
    Reply newkahr ww2style 1911 and questions about 1991 and series 70
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am interested in buying a 1911 for rugged outdoor use. I am considering the auto ord 1911 (redesigned by new owner Kahr). I know that they had quality problems in the past, but from what I understand kahr has taken care of that. I know that colt has started making the 1911A1 again, but they want 1100 for it and thats a bit rich for my blood.
    How does the series 70 differ from what was carried by the troops in ww2 and how does the 1991 differ? I know that some of the old 1911's would not feed hollowpoints reliably.
    Thanks in advance

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/14/02 11:28:07 pm)
    Re: newkahr ww2style 1911 and questions about 1991 and serie
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Skip the Auto Ordnance/Kahr guns. There is no redesign, no change in markings - same guns. The Colt 1911A1 is designed as a limited issue sort-of commemorative piece and while $1100 is too high for that gun even at the $925 I sell it at it's pretty pricey for what you get.

The Series 70 pistols' claim to fame is the collet finger bushing and better sights, for short. Many Series 70's needed feedramp work to feed hollowpoints as well. The 1991 series guns have solid bushings again but also have the firing pin lock feature that debuted with the Series 80 guns. There are other minor differences, these are the major ones.

Look at the base model Springfield Armory or Kimber guns, or one of the XSE series Colts.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/14/02 11:44:22 pm)
    Reply Re: newkahr ww2style 1911 and questions about 1991 and serie
    Hi Andrew.....welcome to The Firearms Forum....and particularly the 1911Nuts Section.

As usual, Doc has given you good advice....and I agree. I love Colts, but the new ones seem overpriced. Kimber and Springfields make real fine pistols. For rugged field use, don't go fancy......get one of the basic ones.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/15/02 12:02:58 am)
    Yep.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/15/02 12:19:53 pm)
    The 1991's also have plastic triggers, me don't
    like dat!

Although pricey, I still do want one of the new
    Colt 1911A1's just to have one!

I agree with the rest in this thread, I'd choose
    the basic parkerized Springfield 1911A1 for your
    needs.
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/15/02 12:41:26 pm)
    I guess this just might confuse the issue, but Colt has reintroduced the Mk IV Series 70 Gov't Model for a limited time. I have five on the way.

www.apaxenterprises.com

Andrew
    (2/17/02 2:43:15 pm)
    Thanks, guys.
    I didn't know that Springfield made old school type 1911's until I opened up a catalogue 5 mins after posting that message. Are they identical to original colt 1911's as used in ww2? Will I need to have it worked on to make it feed ALL hollowpoints reliably?
    So all that press I have been reading in the gun magazines is regarding how kahr has redesigned the auto ord line is hooey?

A

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/17/02 3:01:25 pm)
    ezSupporte Re: newkahr ww2style 1911 and questions about 1991 and serie
    The base Mil-Spec Springfield is every bit as good as any base-model 1911A1 built anywhere. It is a considerable step up from Auto-Ordnance in quality and reliability.

There has been press about what Kahr is doing with AO, but I talked to the Kahr people specifically on that issue in Vegas. They have dropped the ZG-51 Pit Bull from the line, and are currently only marketing full-size and Commander-size pistols. There is no other change, other than they claim more attention to fit and finish than the older AO guns. There is no change in markings, other than the place of manufacture. This also goes for the Thompson guns.

www.apaxenterprises.com

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/18/02 4:21:55 pm)
    Andrew....usually hollowpoints feed pretty well in 1911 style pistols, it's semi-wadcutters that give the most trouble. In either case, polishing the feed ramp will usually take care of this.

If you were more experienced with the '11, we could tell you how to do this yourself.....but's easy to take off too much metal and ruin a good barrel (and possibly the frame itself).

A good gunsmith should be able to do it pretty cheaply.

outlawraven
    (1/19/03 3:33:46 am)
    Reply question
    the colt repo ww2 1911 i read here that you sell them are they good shooters ? i have one on layaway and i havent really heard much about them i have always loved the old gi 1911a1 style and have wanted to buy one but i could not afford one and putting one on layaway is a good start i guess. have you had any complaints on them thanks