The Firearms Forum banner

Next Level Of Reloading:Casting And Loading Lead Bullets

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  lcn 
#1 ·
I have a little bit of concern that handling the new rounds after pressing the bullet on the shell.It leaves a fine lead dust on your fingers.Also breathing a small amount of lead fumes and even making them outdoors in an open area.And even washing your hands very well.It still makes me nervous,a little.
I kinda like the clean plated bullets and wonder if it's worth the small risk of lead exposure.But I must say It's more fun making your own.
There only seems to be 124grain molds available in 9mm but that should work just fine.They were coated in Alox and dried several days.Lead can be found from some tire store wheel weights and shooting back drops in the area's I frequent have most of the shot bullets laying on the dirt backdrops.I filled up a small coffee can in minutes.
I'll see how they shoot tomorrow and if my gun has any leading problems.This could really cut reloading cost way down.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
They look pretty good. Let us know how they perform.

Lead wheel weights are going to become a thing of the past so scrounge what you can now. As to the lead on your fingers, don't lick them. Fumes? If you're getting fumes, your melt is to hot.

#4 ·
There is nothing wrong with providing good ventilation.

Lead Vapor Inhalation:
The temperatures commonly associated with cast in lead bullets is incapable of generating lead vapor, so there's nothing to worry about there.

Lead Ingestion:
Now there's a viable threat. Keep your hands clean, wash often, do not put dirty fingers in your eyes or mouth. Do not eat or smoke while casting. hygiene is very important.

Casting lead bullets is another notch in the art of reloading. I do a lot of it, and I provide good ventilation, not because I'm afraid of lead vapor but mostly because its pretty hot where I live and a fan is just a good idea.

Your bullets look great.

#5 ·
Lately,I've been using X-treme brand 9mm plated bullets for $42.99 for 500.And I don't pay for brass there is so much of It laying around where I shoot.
My only cost now are primers and powder making shooting very inexpensive.
A shooting friend hooked me up with a pound of Titegroup because he bought a 4-pound can several months ago.It takes a little longer to load because a tiny amount moves the scale a lot but at 4.3 grains it only fills the shell half way.It should last me awhile.Still no powder available on-line or in local stores.

#7 · (Edited)
Lead isn't the evil demon just lurking around waiting to ruin some kid's brains some folks make it out to be. Use common sense and you'll be fine. Wash your hands before eating (or putting anything in your mouth). Don't cast with your face above the pot doing deep breathing exercises, just make sure the area is ventilated (I use a 6" clip on fan about 5' away from the pot blowing from the side to keep smoke, not lead vapor, from my face). When you burn a finger, don't lick it to cool it down. Don't chew on any bullets while casting. You'll prolly get more lead in your body from the primers you fire than casting bullets...

One of my favorite molds is the Lee 125 gr. RNFP. Sized accordingly I use it for my 9mm, .38 Specials, and .357 Magnums...

#10 ·
Casting is very rewarding provided you have the resources to get the lead, and it's not harmful if you use what God gave you between your ears. Don't chew on bullets, don't eat or smoke after handling them without washing your hands and don't cast in an enclosed small space.

The old timer that taught me how to cast has been doing it for probably 50+ years. He gets his blood checked every year as part of his physical and it's always been normal.

You got to remember, when the Govt tests stuff, they subject something, probably a rat, to it non-stop for months or years. Of course it's going to be harmful at those levels, duh! Don't buy into all the hype that it'll kill you, or make you have children with 8 toes on one foot but do be careful and use common sense.

#11 ·
Here's a little information if anyone's interested.If you are going to start casting pay the little extra money and get the mold with 6 chambers instead of 2.With 6 chambers you can really crank them out fast.2 chambers worked OK but was a lot of work.Also make sure the wood handles are included.Many of them make you buy the wooden handles separately.

#12 ·
Son and I are casting ingots right now...we have lead pot on porch with small fan blowing over top of it,always use a thermometer and like others have said-don't lick your hands,eat it,etc and it's fine....PRCal did a test to see how dangerous diesel exhaust was-they had people in a room with exhaust right out window blowing in-they "discovered" this was dangerous-DUH.Casting is fun and lead can be used over and over with a good backstop.A win/win..

#15 ·
Was going to ask specifically how long it takes to cast 100?
Welcome to the forum! Once the lead is melted, and using only a 2 bullet mold, probably around 10 min. for a hundred. I've never timed how many I can cast in a given amount of time. I can do 500 in a couple of hours with the 6 cavity mold. Remember that you also have to keep adding lead to the pot, fluxing it, and cleaning off the sludge as you go. You might also need to add tin (lead free solder), or linotype. I use the water quinching method to harden my lead also.

#17 ·
Yes it will start to get harder to get. CA, and the government has outlawed lead in bullets, and wheel weights, the last raw material lead smelter in America has closed down, wheel weights are now being made from zink I believe. Won't work for casting bullets.

#18 · (Edited)
Well,yesterday I test fired the new 124grain cast bullets.They shot just fine with no leading that I could see.The only thing they had was a slight light dusting of lead on the barrel feed ramp.I guess that would be expected.I would prefer to use plated bullets and will probably continue to do so.I'll make up a couple hundred cast rounds or so just it shoot occasionally but at least it's an option to if plated bullets dry up in the future.I enjoyed it.

#19 ·
It's good to be careful when around lead. But I am still around as after running solder in my radiator shop for 9 to 10 hours a day for 21 years and I would many nights go home a cast bullets for another 3 to 4 hours. And never thought anything of it. If there are little kids around I would be more careful however. Lead in the oxide form is more dangerous as it absorbs much faster through the intestinal wall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.