Next Question: Load Data

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by springerbuster, Sep 12, 2009.

1. springerbuster

springerbuster Member

Now that I have figured out my sizing problem, thanks to all of your help, I am ready to move on to charging my first loads. I will be loading 223 rem. Before I bought my press I was given 16 lbs of Accurate 2230 c powder. I also have 1000 small rifle primers that are Winchester brand that I paid dearly for at a gun show. The bullets that I will be using are Hornady 55gr. fmj bt. that I just received for buying the press from Hornady. From any of the charts that I have been able to find max. load says 25.4 to 26 gr. From what I understand (don't forget I am brand new to this) I should start out 5 to 10% less than this. So for my starting load I decided to go with 23.4 gr. which is 10% less than the higher max. load numbers that I have been able to find. Just curious what you guys think.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Correct for powder load (10% below max for starting load). Do observe the Max Over All Length and make it as called out on the recipe.

Is the brass once fired? If so the cases will need to be sized and measured for maximum overall length. If they exceed that then they must be trimmed (after sizing). TRIM-TO -LENGTH is usually 0.010 inches shorter than the Maximum Case Length specification.

Make sure to follow the recipe exactly. Once you are an expert at reloading you can make variation in some of the parameter to increase the accuracy of the gun. But follow the book for now.

LDBennett
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

My accurate manual (circa 1994) lists a starting load of AA2230 for the .223 to be 23.4 under a 55 gr. pill and 26.0 to be max. Looks like you are right on track;)

My Lyman book lists 22.5 gr as starting and 25.0 as max. (Lyman 49th)

My Hornady book doesnt even list AA2230 in thier data for your exact bullet... (bummer)

The .223 round is one of my favorite cartridges. I find my best results with slow powders, especially if you load for an autoloader. My most accurate load is 25.5 gr IMR4895 under a 53 gr. sierra matchking. Its 3/4 MOA with a DPMS Lo Pro classic 16" bbl...
  4. springerbuster

springerbuster Member

Thanks for your replies, I feel a little more confident with a second opinion. As to the brass, yes it is once fired, and I have just completed trimming about 400 rounds. I am cleaning primer pockets now and will try charging a few rounds tonight. I will let you know how the first rounds fire tomorrow, hopefully if everything goes well. Thanks for your help.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

springerbuster, here is a link to the Accurate Arms website's reloading data. You can open the pdf file (or download it) that gives you their recipes for just about every bullet weight using Accurate Arms powder. Their listing of AA 2230 powder and a 55 grain bullets is 22.5 minimum and 25.0 maximum.

Here is that link: http://www.accuratepowder.com/reloading.htm just click on the CLICK HERE!!
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

This is incorrect! He listed 2230 C not 2230. They are two different powders.

http://accuratepowder.com/datapowder_dp2230c.htm
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

YIKES! :eek: I missed the 'C'. Good catch steve. Cant be too safe...
  8. springerbuster

springerbuster Member

Thanks for your guys help. I checked out the link. It does say that 2230c is different than the 2230. It also says, (I think), that you can use data for aa2460 to load the 2230c powder. Correct me if I am wrong. I found this on the link that Steve sent.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Oh man, I also missed the "C". I just read the link that steve sent and I get the same thing from it, that you can use the 2460 data.