NFA C&R Question

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by w1spurgeon, Feb 13, 2012.

1. w1spurgeon

w1spurgeon Member

I have a C&R (Class 3 FFL). How does this play in the NFA world? Are the rules for purchasing any different?
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Not really, but it does make receiving the NFA item easier if it originates from out of state.

For instance, if you wanted to buy a Thompson SMG or Reising SMG from a dealer somewhere outside of Tennessee you would do the Form 4 and pay the tax just like any other Joe Citizen. BUT, the Class 3 dealer could ship directly to your door. No waiting on a Form 3 (dealer-to-dealer) and then the Form 4 (dealer-to-you).

Buying from a dealer in the same state, no difference than Joe Citizen. Form 4, $200 tax.

Some states allow C&R holders to possess NFA C&R firearms but prohibit non-licensees. Check your state laws for clarification on that.
  3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

ditto what stone said.

i bought a c&r nfa gun out of state.. sent the paperwork in to the seling dealer.. when it was all said and done, due to my C&R license, they packed it up in the big brown truck with a bunch of insurance coverage and mailed it to me. :)

I will add one thing. most of my nfa toys were purchased prior to me ever getting my C&R license. the last one I got.. which was a c&r gun .. the III dealer sent in a copy of my C&R along witht he form 4 just for the heck of it. while I can't say for sure that it helped.. the transaction went thru in days.. not weeks.. or the one time, near 3 months that it has taken before on other fast, quiet or short toys...

soundguy
  4. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I need to look into getting my c&r
  5. medalguy

medalguy Member

You do understand this all applies only to those NFA firearms listed as C&R, not newer NFA pieces.
  6. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I'm more interested in the c&r than the nfa
  7. soundguy

i'd love to get my hands on a mauser 712 :)
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Soundguy, I'm curious. Exactly what type of C&R NFA item did you get? 'Cause the Big Brown Truck won't ship machine guns, and that's the first thing I think of about "C&R NFA".
  9. soundguy

it might have been fedex.. dunno what carrier it was? been too long ago and i for sure don't have the original shipping container.

i prefer to not discuss what nfa toys I have online.

also keep in mind that not all nfa thingys are guns ;)