NFA transfers

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by w1spurgeon, Oct 6, 2012.

1. w1spurgeon

w1spurgeon New Member

Is it possible to make an interstate transfer of a class 3 firearm individual to individual using Form 4?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

No. If a gun crosses state lines, in the transfer, it must go through an FFL. If you're both in Tennessee, you can sell it to him directly (unless Tennessee won't allow it). If you're in Tennessee and he is in another state, it's got to go through an FFL, just as if it were a normal rifle/pistol/shotgun.
  3. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

No it must go through a SOT! This is the double tax. You have to pay a 200 stamp to transfer to the dealer in YOUR state ( plus any fee he charges ) then it will take 2 to 4 months for him to get that stamp. Then he will ship it to the dealer in the receiving state then the buyer must buy a 200 dollar stamp ( plus any fees the dealer charges ) this will take about 6 to 8 months currently when the stamp comes in the buyer can pick it up. A FFL alone can NOT transfer a NFA item only a SOT can.

This is why most do not to state to state transfers unless it is a unique item or a decent or better mg.
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

there are a few caveats to that.

an out of state class III dealer can sell a C&R NFA item, on a form 4 tax paid transfer, to a C&R license holder in another state and ship directly to the C&R, once the usual background check and whatnot and stamp and paperwork are done.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Another caveat. ANYONE can sell a registered NFA firearm that is also a C&R (example: a WWII Thompson SMG) to a C&R FFL holder in another state on a Form 4 and ship/take the gun directly to him/her without going through any SOT dealer. If the NFA firearm is not a C&R or if the buyer is not a C&R licensee, the gun must go through a class III dealer in the transferee's (buyer's) state. It is not necessary to go through a class III dealer in the transferor's (seller's) state.

Note that C&R status can apply only to complete firearms (i.e., guns), not to suppressors, full auto parts (DIAS, M2 Kit), or other NFA "firearms" that are not actual guns.

Jim
  6. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

The C&R is correct. As the OP did not indicate he had one I left it out.
    Suppressors are firearms.
    A dias is a machine gun not a part.
  7. medalguy

medalguy Member

But remember, when you're dealing with a machine gun that might cost $15,000 to $50,000, another $200 is really nothing. It's the extra 8 months' wait that's a problem.
  8. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

You can get MG's for 4 grand. Mac's can be had still new in the box for under 5 grand. My First MG long ago took 3 weeks from sending in the paperwork to stamp in hand. My last form 1 took just over 7 months. I have a few more pending times are shortening up a bit but I expect over the next few months times will be going up again.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The time seems to depend on who the Prez is - his opinion on guns. My first stamp, under Slick Willie, took from March to November. I'd been told the first one sometimes took a long time, so that didn't bother me too much. My second stamp, also under Slick Willie, took 13 months to the day.

My last one, under George W, took five weeks.
  10. soundguy

my range is 89 days to 21 days....
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

For transfers to individuals, the current wait time seems to be just under 6 months. I'm on an Indiana-only forum with a lot of NFA owners, and 5 months XX days has been a recurring theme in the thread that tracks that.
  12. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

That is a LONG one... Was there a problem? or had you checked? Time is #1 issue who is leading is a distant second. NFA back in the 80's was a thing of big time collectors and a few who knew you could have them. Those of us who had NFA did not take them to ranges as the problems form crowds and local LE's who where very hard to convince you legally owned a mg or suppressor for that matter. Plus the fact that most people thought ( those who understood you could buy a a NFA item ) that you where going to get ATF agents coming to your home all the time to inspect you. I have had the ATF show up to my home one time but it was amazingly not NFA related. Over the years wait time have gone up due to more people buying them and the ATF only having about 20 or so inspectors to clear the applications though they have added some extra ( temp ) help this year.

You can track those who input data here. http://www.nfatracker.com/
  13. medalguy

medalguy Member

True, you can buy a cheap MG for 4 or 5 grand, but even at that price, another $200 isn't very much to worry about. Most of my experience is with tripod mounted MGs which do run pretty well in excess of $15K each.

In any case, you'll spend $200 on ammo probably the first time out.
  14. soundguy

yep.. fast ones aren't cheap to feed... m11 in 9mm can digest almost 30 rnds in 1.5 seconds depending.. :)
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I was told, Maine (don't know whether it is true or not) that instead of "Inspector Jones" doing one and when he was through just getting the next one from the pile, that "Inspector Jones" did everyone who's name started with A, while "Inspector Smith" did all the Bs, and "Inspector Brown" did all the Cs, etc. If you name was Quincy, or Zedoe, it didn't take long to get to you. My name, however, started with an A, and there seemed to be a lot of folks with names that started with A.
  16. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

They are done by ZONE! Each inspector/ inspectors have a area they cover IE up here Maine and a few states below us are covered by one person.

[​IMG]
  17. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Interesting.
  18. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

The word those of us with things PENDING use is SLOW! They did hire some temp help this summer but I am unsure of the status of those folks. With the amount of transfers going up every year due to people understanding they can own these items they should have five to ten fold the examiners they do now. That said those that do work there do a very good job given the the workload they have.
  19. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

No joke.
  20. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Well, like I said, during the reign of the anti-gun Clinton, my transfers dragged. During the reign of the pro-gun Bush they went speedily along. Now we are in the reign of the anti-gun Obama. Transfers drag.

This is surprising?