Nice winter but 61% of the US "abnormally dry" or drought

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mjp28, Apr 14, 2012.

1. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Sure has been a nice winter BUT.....

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/drought/story/2012-04-11/mild-winter-expands-usa-drought/54225018/1

Still reeling from devastating drought that led to at least $10 billion in agricultural losses across Texas and the South in 2011, the nation is enduring more unusually parched weather.

A mostly dry, mild winter has put nearly 61% of the lower 48 states in "abnormally dry" or drought conditions, according to the U.S. Drought Monitor, a weekly federal tracking of drought. That's the highest percentage of dry or drought conditions since September 2007, when 61.5% of the country was listed in those categories.

Only two states — Ohio and Alaska — are entirely free of abnormally dry or drought conditions, according to the Drought Monitor.

The drought is expanding into some areas where dryness is rare, such as New England.

"Conditions are starting to worry us now," said Keith Eggleston , a climatologist with the Northeast Regional Climate Center in Ithaca, N.Y.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, stream flow levels are at record or near-record lows in much of New England. The Drought Monitor lists all of Vermont as "abnormally dry," just six months after the state's wettest August on record that stemmed mainly from disastrous flooding by the remnants of Hurricane Irene.......CONTINUED IN LINK.......
  2. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

We up North might have enjoyed a nice winter, cities saved thousands in snow removal and salt but the payment might still be coming.

Food costs might go up, animal feed might go up and on it will go.

The most precious thing in the world, gold? No, clean drinking water.
  3. langenc

langenc Member

Snow has been gone for 7 or more weeks. In that time we have had less than 1" rain.

We have had many days where temp was WAY above normal. Most fruit crops will not happen this year-apples and the second largest cherry growing area in the country. Many grapes/wineries.
  4. Shedhorn

Shedhorn New Member

Most of montana is normal or close to normal snow/water. Here in the northwest part of the state, we are someting like 104% of normal snowpack, however, we always seem to be 2 weeks away from a wildfire warning.
    A dry spring or summer will kill us.
  5. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

My garden & yard is still white, but snow is going fast, was 61 degrees today, but will go down to 20 tonight. I rode snowmachine out my woodlot trail to where the mountain goes straight up, 5 miles behind house. Much more snow back there, a few feet. If we didn't have the snow pack, interior Alaska would be a desert. We had record amounts over much of Alaska this year. Ice should go out of the Yukon towards end of April, hope no flooding.
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
  7. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

It's nice here in the southeast sub-tropics, water levels are good. We will probably fry this summer as usual.
  8. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I guess Zhurh in AK and my fellow OH members might be ok with our gardens?

But the other fallout might be tough, I always feel for the small family farmers, they have it tough.

(screw the corporate multi-million acre "farmers", they screw up the eco system anyway ;) )
  9. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Well....

The weather here in the 'trough' is about normal. I'm nestled between the Cascade and Olympic ranges. The only thing about our weather is it's so unpredictable, it's predictable. IOW, flip a coin. :rolleyes:

Forecasters here are lucky if they get 5 days in a row correct.

Mt Rainier has a healthy snow pack, so me and Pops (and many others) got no worries about crops. I would love ta see a 'warm' summer for the farmers east of the mountains (Pops area). World famous apples, dairy products, cherries, wheat, grapes, etc.

Weather is good in the great PNW. :)
  10. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Very little snow here. The warmest winter I have ever seen in this area. By Feb our winter (what there was of it) was over. Nice but it makes you think.
  11. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

we haven't had rain around here for about two weeks. I wish it would rain soon so I can get some lawn mowing jobs.
  12. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Weeks withi little rain is not a drought. That is a dry spell.

Call me when your lakes are not a few feet low but so low that not a single boat ramp is useable. When the local lake is 200' low then it's a drought. I grew up in California and I remember seeing Lake Shasta almost empty because we hadn't had enough rain in years not one or two but 5 or 10 maybe 15 years.
  13. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

It feels like we had a warm winter here in southern Wisconsin. It doesn't seem like it's rained that much this year either. I guess one of the advantages will be that all the mosquitoes will die off.