nickel brass????

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jmar595, Jun 8, 2009.

1. jmar595

jmar595 New Member

Is nickel a good choice to use for reloading? I am very new to this. I just got a Hornady Lock n Load AP and deprimed, tumbled, and am now in the process of putting primers in. I am going to go slowly, one step at a time, even with this press. Thanks for any help
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

nothing wrong with nickel at all, typically can't get as many reloads out of it, but it all depends on what load you're putting in them.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Nickel, being harder than brass, will get mouth cracks sooner. Like (for 38s) at maybe loading 6 or 8, vs loading 12 or so with the brass cases. It depends on what caliber you are loading, how hot you load it, how much you bell the case, etc.

Nickel has some great things going for it, though, not the least of which is it does not crud up like brass will.
  4. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I like nickel brass myself, but I don't load it very hot, because yes, it will split the necks sooner, however they don't seem to need trimmed as often. (they look really pretty all loaded up, too) :)
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I like nickel it seems to me it runs smoother throught the dies.....maybe I'm wrong, it sure does look nice as thomas44 mentioned. The other plus is for some reason people shy away from buying it from my local range which leaves me with easy pickins.
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Here's a quick search on nickel brass here in the reloading forum. Some good reading on the subject.
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/search.php?searchid=1154900

And just a little repeating of what others have already posted here.
    Not a thing wrong with using nickel plated brass. It's got advantages and disadvantages to plain unplated brass.

For "range ammo" brass that gets many reloads I prefer unplated. For my hunting loads, I am partial to nickel. I find the shiny cases easier to spot on the ground than brass, especially in the fall brown grass.
  7. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Some worry about small nickel flakes coming off while re-sizing & getting stuck in dies. I don't & I've used nickel cases to denote elk loads & brass colored for deer loads in several calibers.
  8. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

When loading nickle plated cases for my 25-06 I have noticed I get quite a bit of copper shaving from the bullets as they are being seated, more so than when loading brass cases. Even though I'm using the same re-sizing die and trim and chamfer the cases. It doesn't bother the performance... just makes for a little more cleanup.