Nickeled brass, load it or chuck it.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Texxut, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Texxut

Texxut Member

I was given several hundred .357 mag cases. These are nickeled and show striations as if sized in a dirty steel sizer die. I use carbide dies. Are these cases useable or will they damage my carbide sizer die?
  2. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Have you cleaned them yet? Does your fingernail catch on the striations? How deep are they?
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

They won't hurt your die.

If they are not deep enough that they went through the nickel, so that the brass is showing, I'd go ahead and reload them. Matter of fact, I've had many cases such as you describe, and have loaded them with no problem.

If you're really worried, load 'em to 38 Special pressures. Cast bullet with the minimum powder charge listed for 357.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

they're completely unsafe, send them to me for 'disposal', hahaa! :D

Load 'em up and blast away
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Actually if you have brass in that condition it takes a special resizing die to get the job done. It would be best to send them to me cause I have that 'Special die." :D

Well OK, what Alpo said works.
  6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Tumble them in white rice first
    then re-inspect them.
    They cannot hurt your carbide die....
    unless they are impregnated with diamonds, or....
  7. Texxut

Texxut Member

I just tossed them in the tumbler, and will look at them again in a couple of hours.

I can't catch my fingernail on them, but I can feel them. Not through to the brass.

You guys with those special dies, are really lucky! I'll have to keep my eyes open so I can use some of that defective brass, bullets and powder I've been giving away. ;-)

Thanks for all the responses.
  8. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

I think they'd be fine, though I generally don't TRY to find plated brass. if it was a gimmie.. I'd use it. if i found one that REALLY bothered me.. since it was free.. I'd toss it.
  9. LDJ

LDJ Member

When I load 9mm using nickel plated brass it feels like the bullet pushes in harder ,(more resistance) than when loading brass.

Would the brass have more mechanical slickness than nickel?
    Would there be less friction with brass ?
  10. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

What you didn't notice is the nickeled brass is somewhat easier to resize due to the nickel. I would guess the brass is somewhat work-hardened along with the slightly increased rigidity of the nickeled brass which makes it more springy. When you bell the case mouth it springs back a bit making the bullet fit more tightly.

I actually prefer nickel brass--in bottlenecked cases it's a joy to resize. Annealing can sometimes be a problem 'though.
  11. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

nickle have more internal lube properties than brass?