nifty non-slip grip

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 8, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

anchored
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/17/03 4:03:49 pm)
    Reply Nifty non-slip grip
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I came up with a great alternative to checkering the front of the grip on one of my 1911's - I had a piece of 600-grit wet or dry sandpaper, so I cut a small strip with a scoop at the top for a triggerguard - took off the grips and wrapped it around the front, then put the grips back on holding it tight.

works like a charm, and even looks pretty good.

{ONE PARTICULAR HARBOUR}{Auction45}{Famous Flying Yen Shop}

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (1/17/03 4:21:34 pm)
    Reply Re: Nifty non-slip grip
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Skateboard tape or non-skid tape works also. No shifting around.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/17/03 5:28:43 pm)
    ever tried a wraparound finger-grooved grip?
    mine fits my hand perfectly, like it a lot.
    It's a Hogue product, tried the Bianchi one as well, but it was too rigid, and the rubber compound wasn't grippy enough.

Rich

Bompa
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/18/03 5:29:31 pm)
    You want something great try AGRIP .. It is real good without being agressive like skateboard tape..Also the people who sell it are good people to do business with..
    www.brookstactical.com I believe..

WhiteRyeno
    (1/19/03 12:02:38 am)
    Reply Rubber grips?! BAD IDEA!
    Why would you want to put sticky rubber grips on a 1911 that is to be used for defense or practical shooting purposes?? There is a reason that Baer and Wilson put wood grips on their guns, and it has nothing to do with aesthetics. If you don't get the right grip on your gun w/sticky rubber grips the first time, you are screwed. With wood grips you can adjust immediately, while with sticky rubber you literally need to take your hand off of the gun. For all of you rubber grip believers, try taking hold of your guns at an off angle and making adjustments. You will see what I mean.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/19/03 1:29:09 am)
    Re: Rubber grips?! BAD IDEA!
    I use both wood & hard rubber and synthetic, depending
    upon which firearm I'm using.

Hogue's are a bit too flexible to my choice however,
    for others they work out better.

My choices for hard rubber are Pachy's, and for
    wood it would be quality checkered grip panels
    w/Peirce finger grooved front strap, and the same
    for checkered hard plastic grip panels.

Never a problem on any of the above, in various
    types of situations.

Welcome "WR"

Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/21/03 6:04:42 pm)
    Reply Re: Rubber grips?! BAD IDEA!

Quote:

WhiteRyeno
    (1/19/03 12:02:38 am)
    Reply Rubber grips?! BAD IDEA!
    Why would you want to put sticky rubber grips on a 1911 that is to be used for defense or practical shooting purposes?? There is a reason that Baer and Wilson put wood grips on their guns, and it has nothing to do with aesthetics. If you don't get the right grip on your gun w/sticky rubber grips the first time, you are screwed. With wood grips you can adjust immediately, while with sticky rubber you literally need to take your hand off of the gun. For all of you rubber grip believers, try taking hold of your guns at an off angle and making adjustments. You will see what I mean.

Sheesh man, glad you have an opinion and all, but....

Used them for a lot of years. Including a couple years of IPSC Limited using the firearm pictured above. Served me quite well.
    In fact, driving the web of my thumb into the beavertail grip safety was my primary concern, and the finger-grooves do tend to guid my fingers to JUST where they need to be. That and lots of rote practice.
    They are tacky on purpose.
    Used that same firearm for 10+ years with wood grips, before that. Have to say I like it better, it works better NOW with rubber.

So instead of countering you post by saying "No way dude, wood sucks, rubber roools!!", I'll just suggest anyone who hasn't yet tried them, and who is seeking better 'gription' should give them a try.
    Oh wait. I did that in my first post.
    Rich