1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Night Stand Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by William Frost, May 20, 2011.

1. William Frost

William Frost New Member

Just found Moms night stand pistol. I was wondering what it was worth. It's in excellent condition... doesn't look like it has been fired very much. The serial # is 56982... so what can you tell me about this little pistol?
    DSCN1272.jpg

DSCN1273.jpg
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the excellent photos. The "real" serial number will be on the grip frame hidden by the left grip panel, and will probably have a letter prefix. Also need to know caliber; looks like a 5-shot .32 or .38? It's an early black powder gun, as the owl's head was changed to vertical when changes were made for smokeless powder in 1909.
  3. William Frost

William Frost New Member

Thanks for the info. Can I buy modern ammo for this pistol? Any idea what the ballpark value could be?
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

We still need caliber and the serial number from under grip to confirm what you have. Although they look original, it's always possible the grips are replacements. And while grips are off, note if mainspring is a flat or coil type.

If it's a black powder gun, current ammo would not likely blow it up, but would soon loosen the lockup.

Value in that nice condition maybe $200+
  5. Joel Lehman

Joel Lehman New Member

With those owl had grips, I'd say it is an Iver Johnson. My brother has our great grandmother's revolver that looks like the photo, but in poorer condition. It is chambered for 38 S&W.
  6. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Beautiful, don't see to many in that nice of shape. Definately a IJ Second Model .32.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

its a very nice looking piece..
  8. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Any if those including the one I have look as though they have been beat to hell and back. Very nice looking gun.
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

ditto, with the above. Not many of those old pieces have survived in that kind of condition.