NightForce 12-42 x 56 Precision Benchrest

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gun runner, Feb 7, 2012.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

How far do you think you can see a shoot n c target to where you can tell where the bullet holes are showing? Im thinking about getting one for my .223 Savage.

They said these scopes are the best of long range bench rest competition winning. Rugged too.

Over a $1000 but I dont care Id like to have something nice for my weapon.

Thanks.
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

With the .223 holes and that set-up and with the Shoot-n-see targets, I'd imagine with the eye focus set up to about 38-40 one could probably see'em out to 600+ yards!
    That's nothing but a guess but with my Savage BVSS .223 with the 5-20x50AO, I can see them out to about 350+ yards. That's about as far as I've ever used those targets.
    (scope is a Tasco World Class)
    EDIT: of cousre on a good bench rest.
  3. Zane71464

I know the feeling.
    I'm thinking of going with a Nikon on mine.
  4. Zane71464

...was just talking to a feller the other day about my Savage and with a rifle like it is, it NEEDS a good scope atop of it!
  5. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Thank you for your help. Im really thinking about getting this scope. There was a US Navy Seal that shot a taliban fool 2000 yards away that im sure you heard of. They said it was with a nightforce scope with using a .338 lapua caliber. I wonder what type of magnification he was using, Nightforce doesnt have any more powerful scopes than this so it makes me wonder how this was possible. Unless I didnt review their whole site. hmmm
  6. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

Maybe look into a spotting scope. They have a purpose ya know. From what I've read, military rifle scopes rarely exceed 10x magnification, although that world record kill is probably a exception. Going for man-sized targets is a bit different than paper. I think a nice 50 x 80mm spotting scope would be be a fine addition to your type of shooting. Anything with a magnification higher than 60x would more suitable for Astronomy purposes :p
  7. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

haha, thanks. I kind of figured spotting scopes but where would you know where to shoot at if the rifle scope wont reach that far?
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

If you want what the benchrest guys are using don't buy a nightforce. You want a March made by Deon optics.

Deon Optics is 4 Optical Engineers in Japan. They design test and hand assemble each and every scope they produce using the best of everything in them.

http://www.deon.co.jp/march/

They have a reticle just for benchrest shooters where the crosshairs intersect in the top 1/3 of the FOV so you can see all your range flags.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

600 may be a bit far for the .22 cal holes. mirage would wipe em out. Id guess 300-400 should see em ok.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The problem with all that magnification is it greatly reduces your eye relief, so much so that sometimes you cant get the scope mounted so you'll be able to use the entire magnification range on the scope without getting all goofy on the stock of the rifle. And gettn goofy with the rifle doesnt amount to good consistent shootn. IF youre serious about a dedicated Long Range optic go fixed power are go with a narrow magnification range.

If youve ever spotted thru a 60X spotting scope you know you have to have your eye right on it, same holds true for scopes too. the higher the magnification, the closer your eye has to be to the scope to get a clear FOV.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

he was most likely using a schmidt and bender or a leupold Mk 4 on a mcmillan tac-50 (mil designated C-15 and in service since 2000). Targets are generally not engaged with a .338 lap mag past 1200 yds. the .50 on the otherhand has the punch and the precision at 2000 to drop a baddie. Mcmillan endorses 3 scopes for their rifles..
    Leupold Mark 4-16x40mm LR/T M1 Riflescope
    Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 PMII
    and the Nightforce NXS 8–32x56 Mil-dot telescopic sight for the Tac-50.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  12. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

13. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

I like the nightforce nxs 5.5-22, with the 8-32 your elevation travel is really small. Have you guys seen the picture of the NF scope that got shot by a 7.62 round? apparently the soldier had his weapon on his back when it got shot. He was still able to use the scope for the rest of his mission.