NightForce Rifle Scopes

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gun runner, Dec 17, 2011.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

The Nightforce 12-42x56 NXS Long Distance scope is what I was looking at. Its pretty expensive but instead I will settle with a cheaper scope possibly with the same magnification if one is available. Is it possible to view a 3 inch target at about 300 yards or to make this a simple question how far can this scope help you see right up to your bullet holes on paper. I been trying to find one for atleast a True football field lenght(100 yards) so I can see where the holes on paper can be viewable at this distance and I cant find an answer. Thanks for any help
  2. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

I don't know if it helps, but I have an 8-32 that I can read the date on my watch at 50 yds. Surely you could see bullet holes at 100.
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I have an elite 4200 bushnell 6x24x i dont recall the objective but i can see my bullet holes at 100 yrds clear as day.
  4. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

My 6-24 Sightron has no trouble seeing .223 bullet holes at 100 yards set to x18 power.
  5. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I am honestly not trying to be a smart a.. but I can usually see bullet holes at 100 yards with a 9 power scope. I can pretty much always see them with a 12.
    If you want Night Force quality, you are not going to get it any cheaper than Night Force. There are scopes just as good and some better, but they definitely aint cheaper than NightForce.
  6. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I agree with reynolds 357 :)
  7. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

I've heard good things about the millet lrs 1 6.5-25x56. for the price it might be worth a try before getting the night force.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Night Force optics are for serious shooters. If you are going to shoot 1000 yds regularly then by all means grab one, the couple Gs youll drop on it will be worth it, but if you never really venture out past 200 yds and maybe a couple times a year shoot at 300 or 400 youd be much better served by a 300 dollar Nikon.
  9. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

I was hoping to do 1 mile shots with the millet with its 100 MOA adjustment, I've heard good things from other long distance shooters about this scope. I'd only be using it till i could actually afford a night force.
  10. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

You are still going to need a lot of cant in your base and probably some more in your rings. I try not to use more than 50% of the available adjustment in my scopes.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  11. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

25MOA bases with the millet will get you to 1 mile if you have the right cartridge and load.

I know a guy taking P dogs at 1200 y with a 20br custom shop savage 12 benchrest.
  12. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

We have the Millett 6-25x56 on a 50BMG bolt gun. It survives the recoil fine once we got the scope to stay put from recoil. It took four rings, grinding the rings to be concentric and gluing the scope to the rings. Before we got the scope stabilized on the gun, the scope moved its turret against a scope mount and broke the reticule inside the scope loose (OUR FAULT!). Millet replaced the scope no questions asked.

But be aware that only rings available for it are the ones Millett provides with the scope as they are 35mm I believe (not the same as the huge Leopold rings, either).

When the scope was returned by us for repair, it was handled by the Bushnell Service Center(?). Maybe Bushnell owns Millett (??).

Anyway, the scope is excellent and has a clear sharp image even at ranges in excess of 1000 yds. It is priced in the $400 price range. We recommend it.

LDBennett
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep. 25MOA cant will do it for just about any rig thats actually capable of shooting a mile with precision. Itll put your 200 yd zero at the bottom of the elevation adjustment and give you all the zero for cranking up the elevation to dope long ranges. Dont sweat using all the adjustment in your scope, thats what its there for. Just make sure if those knobs start getting tight not to force them. If they begin to tighten up they have run out of adjustment and you will actually be crushing the springs in your scope if you over tighten the knobs. and that WILL mess thing up when you return to zero. I do tend to stay a half rev off max adjustment just to prevent this from happening. Which brings me to another personal preference id like to point out. I favor BDC reticles. If you have a scope with BDC reticle built in then you can zero your scope at 500 yds with its aiming point in the reticle and not only will it be accurate at all the other aiming points for the closer distances, but when coupled with the 20 or 25 MOA canted base you wont need but maybe half the scopes adjustment to dope a mile if you use the 500 yd aim point on the reticle and adjust from there. I like to think of it as combining precision kentucky windage with more precise scope usage to get the utmost from your shooting system.
  14. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

Thanks for the input, I'm going to get the savage 110 ba .338 lapua in the spring. I think they already come with a 20 MOA base. Looks like the Millet should handle fine.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id think so. Millett makes good optics. I like the Buck gold fine hair reticle for target work, but its a mosnter scope. nearly a foot and a half long and 30mm tube.