NJ's TRI-MUSHROOM BORDELAISE...for steaks and chops or as a side dish

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by mjp28, Jun 1, 2012.

1. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

(here is one of my favorite mushroom dishes ;) edit add....oh NJ is my wife, a great scratch cook )

NJ's TRI-MUSHROOM BORDELAISE for steaks and chops or as a side dish, serves 4

In a one quart sausepan:
    2 Tbsp butter or margarine
    2 Tbsp flour
    Cook together in saucepan stirring often until lightly browned

Dry ingredients:
    1 1/2 Tbsp minced onions or shallots
    1 Tbsp minced dry pasrley
    1 Bay leaf
    1/4 tsp thyme crushed
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp ground pepper

Add dry ingredients to the butter and flour
    Then slowly stir in:
    10 1/2 oz. Beef broth
    3/4 cup good red wine

Increase heat to medium high; cook stirring constantly until thick; remove Bay leaf

Add sauce to mushrooms that have been sautéed in butter; add snipped Parsley to garnish
    1 cup Portabella mushrooms (a very large, rich-flavored cremini mushroom, often grilled, broiled, or sautéed)
    1 cup Button mushrooms (a young unopened white mushroom)
    1 cup Shiitake mushrooms (a large, meaty, black or dark brown mushroom)

*edit - adding a crushed clove of garlic to dry ingredients is optional....and also pretty good
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Have it...tyvm, will try it out.
  3. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Some people like to use flour or cornstarch, some like it thinner (over meat) or thicker as a soup side dish....my favorite.

You can vary some ingredients to your taste, more or less pepper, onions, whatever.

Bordelaise sauce is a classic French sauce named after the Bordeaux region of France, which is famous for its wine. The sauce is made with dry red wine, bone marrow, butter, shallots and sauce demi-glace. Sauce marchand de vins ("wine-merchant's sauce") is a similar designation. Traditionally, bordelaise sauce is served with grilled beef or steak, though it can also be served with other meats that pair well with red wine demi-glace based sauces.

The sauce has appeared on US restaurant menus since 1882, if not earlier. I know you Cajun fans have your own versions! ENJOY.
  4. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

*edit - adding a crushed clove of garlic is optional....and also pretty good :)
  5. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

On sauteeing or cooking mushrooms, buttons will need little or no slicing, portabella I like thick not real thin, more flavorful, same with full flavor shiitake.

Maybe 1/4", 3/8" more, or how you like them.

Some recipes have fewer ingredents but to me less flavor. Some actually use bone marrow and/or homemade beef broth, it's all up to you. Canned beef broth (like chicken broth) is fine out of a can or box. 10 oz, 12 oz, whatever you have is good.

Like garlic? Hey it's good for you, none, 1 smashed clove, two+ it's up to you.

Red wine, generally something you would drink at lunch/dinner.

Bon appetit. :)
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Wife and I made it last night. Served it over medium rare NY Strip steaks and creamy mashed taters. Dam good eats.
  7. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you had a real nice meal, good for you and the your wife. It is real good over mashed potatos, maybe better than even baked, up to you.

Wife has a 12 day vacation coming up Thursday, I'm planning on the Bordelaise with some rib eyes or NY Strips. Ummmmm. :)
  8. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Talking about mushrooms I figured I'd bring this one back.

A steakhouse by us, NOT a national chain, also had close to this recipe I've had it way over 200 times over the years they'd make extra thick for me and loaded with mushrooms. :D

When the original owner left it changed and we haven't been there in a few years.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014