1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

No 4 Mk 1 British .303

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by JustRandy, Jan 13, 2008.

1. JustRandy

JustRandy New Member

How much is a No 4 Mk 1 British .303 worth? Its been sporterized by cutting off the stock and installing a Redfield peep sight. And the magazine has been shortened for game laws.

Thanks
  2. CCubed

CCubed New Member

I'm no expert on the subject, but I do know a bit about No. 4's. I'd probably pay something around $100 for a gun like that...unless you (for one reason or another) want/like it in that condition. If you want to restore it to its original condition (either because it's your hobby or you just want to own a mil-surp rifle in its original condition), then I'd definitely pay no more than $100 for it. In original, very good to excellent condition you'd pay about $350 for a No. 4 Mk. I. That's the price you're shooting for if you go out to buy one (in original condition). Sporterized (or "bubbaized") mil-surp rifles are much less valuable, no matter what the owner tells you. But, as I said, if you're gonna keep it in the condition the seller has it in, then you can probably afford to pay up to $200 for it. Otherwise, though, you have to consider the cost of a new stock, magazine, etc., to get it to original condition (which, if you bought the gun for $100, you might be lucky enough to only pay up to $200 to get it to original condition, if you do all the work yourself).
  3. JustRandy

JustRandy New Member

Hmmm.... Sounds like they are a dime a dozen then. Hard to believe a single shot .22 and a base model remington 870 are worth more than a nice rifle I've never even heard of, lol.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Well, Randy, unfortunately, CCubed is right on with his value.

Back when you could buy MilSurp rifles for 20 bucks (or less), lots of people cut them down (or put on cheap aftermarked stocks) to turn them into inexpensive hunting rifles. And the cartridges (.30-40 Krag, .30-06, 8mm Mauser, and .303 British) make fine hunting cartridges). Many, many old Krags, Springfield '03s, Mauser '98s, and Enfields met this fate.

As a result, the one's in original, unaltered, military condition became fewer and fewer and became more and more valuable.

In your particular case, if you don't mind it looks and the fact that it's a bit heavier than most commercial hunting rifles, that No.4 MK I can make a fine hunting rifle.

The action is fast, smooth, and strong, and .303 is a fine cartridge for deer and black bear.....and in Canada, it's even taken a lot of Moose.

I'd say, if you can get it for $150.....go for it. :)
  5. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

The guys are correct. I have a sporterized Mk4 that I really enjoy and wouldn't sell at any price. But, I know it's really only worth about a buck and a-half or so.

As Xracer said, Mk4s tend to be a little heavy, so many also had the barrels shortened. To me, these are worth even less.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

i have an enfield #4 in un-violated condition, i paid $200 cash for it, i couldnt imagine owning 1 that has been sporterized(a nice way of saying ruined) they are truly works of art and an integral part of military and firearms history.:cool:

Attached Files: