No Gut Method

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by questor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. questor

questor Member

2. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I've always gutted them. How do you get the tenders out using that method? Not a lot of meat but they are the best.
  3. questor

questor Member

You don't have to gut to get the tenderloins, check out 9A Detailed photo for cutting away the tenderloin. As you get older you will appreciate the merits of boning/gutless. Of course you can't do this on the east coast (unless hunting Moose in Maine), but very acceptable out west.

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/guttless1.html
  4. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    You don't eat the Pluck:eek:
    Na, not for us.
    We gut.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  5. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I was actually taught how to do a "quick clean" without gutting, only meat you got were both hind quarters and backstraps, method is use for getting it and getting gone in a hurry.
  6. questor

questor Member

You mean poaching!

The poachers in Northern Maine, use olive oil in their chain saws; butcher a moose in minutes and are "gone in a hurry". I don't condone it, but understand it is part of their culture and a way of life for those very hardy souls.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  7. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Thats the backstrap and the tenderloins are in the inside of the rib cage at the backbone. I'm 62 and understand the chore of field dressing but want to get all the meat. The largest animal I have killed is a Caribou so haven't gotten an Elk sized animal a couple miles back in. If I did I would likely use your method and get most of the edible meat out.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Can;t do youtube on this PC, but are you talking about cutting away choice cuts of meat, and leaving the rest? If so, what a waste! I gut, because it makes it easier to get the deer out of the woods, and back to the house, so I can skin, and butcher it. I use the whole deer, and have tanned a few hides as well.
  9. questor

questor Member

Nope, check out these slides and you will see, there isn't meat remaining: http://home.att.net/~sajackson/guttless1.html
  10. OBrien

OBrien New Member

Don't be giving out our secrets but there is plenty of ways to make a moose vanish quickly. And them county boys (northern Mainers from Aroostook county) got nothing on us down here in Washington county.:D:D

Once you know how to gut correctly if you got a sharp knife and either another strong back or some you can do an animal as large as a moose rather quickly. But it takes practice and skill.
  11. questor

questor Member

For sure those boys in Eagle Lake are pros at quickly making a moose vanish. LOL on "But it takes practice and skill." :)

In 1997 I harvest (legally of course) the largest moose in Maine, field dressed at 1057lbs. Following gutting out the moose we heard a skidder. Fortunately one of those "country boys" was skidding out trees and for $50 I tied my moose to his boom. He removed it from the woods and deposited into the bed of our pickup. 30 minutes later, we checked it at Fort Kent and for an additional $2 had it weighted.

The moral of this story, if that "country boy" didn't come by we would still be dragging. That is why the original question on the No Guy Method.
  12. OBrien

OBrien New Member

Up there everyone and their brother has a skidder. Down here we may not have as many but we all got access to one :D:D:D:D:D
  13. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

Now, now. I wasn't meaning I use it for poaching, but I did get a poacher to show me how. the only time I have used it was when a land owner let me hunt at his place, he had 10 depredation tags, I only took two, and my freezer was still pretty stocked, get the good stuff and go.
  14. Dexter

Dexter New Member

Those are the backstraps, not the tenderloins. They are the the equivilent of boneless ribeye steaks the tenderloins are on the inside of the ribcage along both sides of the spinal cord, they are the same as filet mignon. the tenderloins are the most tender meat on an animal
  15. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

always been my thinking that backstrap = tenderloin = filets. Ribeye is a whole different cut entirely. A T-bone steak has a section of the Strip and Filet.

Personally, I've always hung and gutted, but i do find some good tips on the no-gut methods. I think if done properly, there isn't any difference in the waste. I may give the no gut a try just to see if i can do it. If not, i can always revert back.