No Gut Method

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by questor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Nice buck! And a very pretty mount.

Yeah, I can't stand it when someone wastes meat or doesn't take care of it. I try to use everything. Have my hides done with hair or without, or donate them to a guy who makes ceremonial drums with them. Used to know a Malaysian guy who would take the hooves and sex organs (you don't want to know). What scrapes I don't use for hamburger/sausage gets made up for the dogs with brown rice and chicken broth. Pretty much just the guts left behind.
  2. questor

questor New Member

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  3. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

YEah, the tenders are on the inside.....Plus, for those who eat heart and liver this is worthless as well.
  4. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

Here in NH I believe its required by law to gut the deer, and leave the gutpile. Many times a Conservation Officer (game warden :rolleyes:) will ask you to show him the gutpile.

I have always gutted, because that is what I was told I had to do. I also leave skin on and age the carcass by hanging a couple days before butchering.
  5. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I love this thread because it's filled with people exited about the MEAT and taking care of it.

Since I hunt in Texas and it can be 85 or 90 on opening day, I have always gutted immediately in hot weather. If a norther has blown through I will hunt a little longer and gut, skin, quarter and drop it into the ice chest.

In Texas, you can only quarter in the field, but I have a friend that uses the no gut method and you can get the Tenderloins out using this method. I don't care how big or little the deer is, the Tenderloins are going with me.

Typically, within the hour my deer is gutted, skinned, quartered and on ice. I keep my quartered deer in my ice chest and drain it once keeping it below 40 degrees and bone it out the 3rd or 4th day. I bone out the front & hind quarters one night and grind and package the other night. I can bone out a hind quarter in about 45 minutes and then it's ready for packaging. Front quarter takes about 20 and it's ready for the grinder.

I'm not a big heart fan, but I keep the livers from my does and it tastes wonderful. :D

[​IMG]

Venison tenderloin, venison liver, sauteed mushrooms, corn and asparagus. Mmmm Mmmm good.:D
  6. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Not a big heart fan either, but we always eat the liver in deer camp, first off. It's very good when it's fresh, but not so good after it's been frozen, for some reason.

Dang. I'm hungry now. Grilled fresh deer liver and sweet onions. Got to get me some soon.
  7. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

I'm new to deer hunting and have this question. Do you drag the deer to your truck before field dressing? If not, I assume you would have to take precautions to keep the cavity clean while hauling it out. What precautions should be taken? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've never done this before.

Thanks,

John
  8. questor

questor New Member

The following is cut and pasted from General Hunting Laws in Maine, it is also my understanding that everyone in the lower 48 should follow these guidelines.

A CAUTION ON LIVER AND KIDNEY CONSUMPTION.......The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife and the State Bureau of Health recommend that the liver and kidneys of moose not be eaten because of possible contamination with the heavy metal cadmium.

Also, recent studies have shown smaller amounts of cadmium in liver tissues from Maine deer, and deer, elk and antelope from other States. Maine health officials recommend that deer liver consumption be limited to 0.8 pounds in one sitting and 1 to 1-1/3 pounds per week. Human symptoms of acute cadmium poisoning include severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle cramps and salivation. There is no known health risk from eating moose meat or deer meat.
  9. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Oh i gut but also carry an electric knife with me. Say what you want but this bad boy is the cats meow in the field.

Attached Files:

10. questor

questor New Member

Of course the following is my opinion: You immediately field dress with the goal of cooling the cavity. In this day in age with chronic wasting disease and lyme disease, all hunters should wear gloves. Upon field dress, you can then drag it to your vehicle.

If the temperature is less than 45, I would age the deer for a day or two with the skin on. (of course this would be a bitch with a large animal i.e. Moose, bear, caribou, elk etc).

If you hang the deer (45 or less) it is important to irrigate and air out the body cavity. If available the garden hose works well as propping the body cavity open with a stick or whatever. If at a hunting camp, don't use the stream water to clean the cavity, use clean rags etc.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  11. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Funny what it does to the flavor of venison to ride it around in the back of the truck all day, the day being a typical 80 degree Florida November day.
  12. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I wouldnt actually those deer in your neck of the woods Tim, They look more like dobermans with sticks glued to their heads.

Attached Files: