No more 770, now Remington has the 783

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Albtraum, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

as the new budget/entry level center fire bolt action... Think they learned from the 770? They certainly have enough advertisement on it, from the R on the bolt handle, Remington, and another R on the recoil pad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

I made the mistake of buying a 710 a few years ago. It is in the safe.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That's bev=cause the 710 and the 770 are pieces of S***.. Time will tell if the 783 will follow suit. It already uses 2 front 700 bases.. Which sucks, because you hafta buy 2 sets of rem 700 bases to mount a scope, and they aren't making one piece rails for it yet.. I wish theyd just drop the budget line up and bring back the 700 ADL. At least then folks are buying an honest to god Remington 700, even of it is in a cheap Chinese plastic stock.

I feel the same way about the Savage Axis and the Ruger American too. They are all in some way proprietary, which makes them hard to customize, and will doom them to be nothing better than a beater hunting rifles. Plenty of used milsurps with solid wood stocks floating around for that purpose.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  4. jbmid1

jbmid1 Active Member

Huh? The 770 I have came with a 4" section of rail.
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Josh is referring to the 783's drill&tap pattern for the scope bases. It uses two 700 front bases. Until the mount makers start packaging a set specific to the 783 you'll need two 700 sets to scope out a 783.

I do look forward to checking out how well they copied the Savage barrel nut set up though.
    For some reason, I just can't get excited about the Accutrigger or any of it's clones (everyone has copied it already...maybe Remington has a version that I'll like).

I still wish they'd bring back the 788, but like Josh I'd be just as happy with the ADL or Sportsman78 trim level 700 action as the "bargain" rifle instead of all these ugly new designs.
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

They're too accurate!;) No money to be made on a less expensive gun...But I wish they would too!!!:thumbsup:
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

These are entry level hunting rifles. They are not meant to be customized they are meant to be shot with the barrel that is on them in the stocks they come in.

They are for people who are new to hunting or new to shooting. A budget option to a $800 hunting rifle. Or for people who can't afford to spend $800 on a hunting rifle.

I personally think they are great (Except for that 770) they are getting more people out hunting and shooting. How can you have issues with that?

So you can't swap the barrel so you can't change the stocks (Well you could if you made one for it) so what if the tirgger is not as crisp and clean as a target rifle.

That is not the intended function of these rifles. Plus if it does boil down to armed conflict does it matter if Americans are armed with $800 Remington 700's or $400 Remington 783, Savage Axis, Ruger Americans? The more guns we can put in the hands of like minded people the better chance we have if and when the SHTF....

Just my two sense.

That and I can't afford to put a $800 rifle in the hands of my son to start deer hunting. I can how ever put a $400 gun in his hands to start hunting.
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

That's the point JLA was trying to make. The 700 ADL had a cheapo stock and internal magazine. It was the $400 rifle Remington made. But you could buy a conversion kit for ~$100 to allow it to take the removable box magazines, and you could put it into a BDL stock.

But it didn't have a bunch of weird proprietary parts. You could put 700 stuff on it, so you could get your $400 rifle now and upgrade it to the $800 one if/when you wanted.
  9. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Remington is doing it again.Another POS rifle I Vented my feelings for the 710 and 770 last feb 13 in a post. Dont want to go there again. Its to bad realy I have 2 700 rifles that are top notch rifles I heard about the 783 a while back and thought this might be ok. Then I got the real info Looks like another try at the 770 to me what a joke!!!!!!!!!! Well thats my 2cents.
  10. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Walmart and Academy still get special runs of the ADL and they both sell them for around 350 out the door. And they are 10X the rifle the 710, 770, or the 783 will ever be, simply because the ability to go full custom is there, with a whole aftermarket full of precision parts to fit to them. And if that's not for you.. cpttango.. Then leave it be and your boy can hunt with a 350 dollar rifle..

That is exactly my point.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

A bacon wrapped turn is just a wanton waste of a perfectly good piece of bacon..
  13. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

I mis-typed it earlier. mine is from 1966 and is so beautiful I don't think I could bring myself to change anything. granted if I did, I could put on a cheap stock and not worry so much about range rash or tree scrapes but still...
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You shouldn't worry about range rash or tree scrapes on an expensive stock either. Its gonna happen and does nothing tot he performance of the rifle. You should see some of the beat up pieces of crap the guys at VX are shooting 1000 yds with. Youd think by the looks of them they wouldn't group 4 inches at 100 yds. But most of these guys' rigs are $3000+ dollar set ups with milspec rattle can camo jobs they did themselves, and they all are sub MOA rifles.
  15. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

just stay with the remington 700's, the others remington models are just hood holders