No New Wheel Gun This Week.....

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tony Mig, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

My E-Bay auctions aren't going as well as I planned, plus forces beyond my control have dipped into the sum of money I already had stashed away for my new firearms purchase.....Sooooo....it doesn't look like I'll be getting any new wheel gun for a while longer......

I went back to the gun shop that's offering the Ruger GP-161...(the one with the package deal that includes 2 boxes of ammo, cleaning kit, speed loader, ear plugs, and targets).....I looked it over real good again, checked the ejector rod, cylinder, latch, hammer, trigger, barrel, and dry fired it a few more times. I'd be real happy with this particular revolver, especially after comparing it to a Taurus that's in the case next to it for $100.00 less. The Taurus has a 7 shot cylinder, and the cylinder walls look very thin, and the gun didn't feel anywhere's near as solid as the Ruger....not worth saving the hundred bucks IMHO......

I gotta find more stuff to sell...... :rolleyes:
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Join the club on the eBay auctions. It has been a dry, dry week... (I've only got a little over 600 items listed. Backed off a bit...)
  3. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

600 Items....!

I have a hard enough time selling 5 items at once, let alone 600....you must spend 24/7 in front of your 'puter.......:eek:

I sold 2 items, and had to re-list 5 others...(with reduced reserve and "buy-it-now" prices)....I'm still waiting on the check for one of those sales...(the guy is kinda dragging his feet making payment)...:rolleyes:

I re-listed everything for 5 days, so we'll see what happens....
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2003
  4. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

im picking up a new wheelgun from the dealer in about 2 hours:D ..... cant wait

Dan Wesson model 740 .357 SUPERMAG (.357 Maximum)
  5. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

just got it and came back from the range.

very very happy with it. even with .357 Maximums loaded with W296 it is very enjoyable to shoot, less recoil than my .44. i wasnt even tring and i was get reasonable groups.

yes very happy
  6. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I had a Dan Wesson years ago, and although it was a very accurate, and easy gun to shoot....I just couldn't get past that funky cylinder release in front of the cylinder, and at the time...(Dan Wesson's were pretty much the new kid on the block)...you couldn't get rubber grips to fit them......
    It turned out to be one of many guns I had to sell to get myself out of a debt situation with the IRS......:(

Well, the E-Bay thing took a turn for the better last night....I sold three of the 5 items with the "Buy-it-Now" feature, and this morning I have to get one of those items weighed in, and get a shipping quote from the post office, so I can e-mail the total to the bidder. These sales will generate another $180.00 towards that Ruger GP-161.....
    I just might go file for my pistol permit, and go put a deposit on that gun after all.......;)
  7. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

yeah i know what you mean about the latch, its alittle annoying but i dont mind. The DW Supermag comes with rubber hogue grips that lots of new revolvers are coming with these days and they do fit my hand well
  8. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

When I had my Dan Wesson .357 Mag, a friend of mine and I both bought them with 6" barrels, both guns had a timing problem, and we couldn't stand next to each other while shooting them from the powder blast, and lead shavings that blew out from between the cylinder and barrel.....
    The cylinder on mine jammed closed a couple of times, so I wasn't sorry about selling it....
    I've heard a lot of people were real happy with thier's, but the two of us were not happy at all......

I have a friend that's a gunsmith, and he has an 8" barrel one for sale real cheap, he's tried to get me to buy it, but I'm just not intrested in either another Dan Wesson, or an 8" barrel gun....

So...how much hotter are those .357Maximums over the standard .357 Mag's........?
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2003
  9. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

there is a fair bit more recoil than .357 Mag but more controlable than .44mag, they give a similar energy to the .44mag.

if i keep the barrel to cylinder gap at .002inch i wont have probs with powder and lead blast
  10. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Sounds like a fun gun to shoot.....do you re-load your own down there in Ozz, or do you buy factory loads.....?

I would imagine the cost of factory ammo for that would run a bit more than standard .357Mag, and that stuff costs plenty here in the U.S.....(the cheapest factory .357Mag I've seen here starts at around US$12.00 per box of 50, and can run as high as US$25.00 per 50)....and I know the dollar values run higher in Ozz and NZ.
  11. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

ebay?
    don't you mean broker?
    I thought ebay did'nt do bang bangs
  12. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

All the receivers and complete firearms go on GunBroker. eBay allows the sale of gun parts, scopes, etc...
  13. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I have a pretty eclectic list of items I have sold on e-pay. While I do not like to support them, with their anti-gun views. They have their usefulness. The biggest group of buyers in the world.
    A dollar is a dollar....you know.

Good luck on getting the new wheel-gun.
  14. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

FN_Project90, I wasn't selling bang bang things, I was selling things related to my other hobby of playing guitar. I had a recording mixer, several spare guitar amplifier speakers, a small practice amp, microphones, and a bunch of cables & patch chords that I had auctioned off.......all to raise money for my new wheel gun....;)

I put a deposit on a Ruger GP-161 the other night, and depending on when my handgun purchaser's permit gets issued, and the rest of my auction money comes in, I may have by this weekend, if not then I should have by next weekend.....

More than likely it'll be next weekend......
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2003
  15. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

viper those .357 maximums eat barrels. In "Cartridges of the World" the commentary on them says its a good idea, but they literally eat barrels up. Dan Wessen does supply replacements for them though, so luck is not up (in most cases the replacements are no charge). I can type the whole spiel on here from the book if you want?
  16. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

yeah ive read about that, i checked the gun before i bought it and i am keeping a close eye on it
  17. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

18. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

What kind of practice amp are you trying to sell? I can also use another Shure SM57 mic, too.
  19. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

Yeah i load my own
  20. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Silencer, it was a DOD Grind-it....a small 15 watt solid state job I bought about 5 years ago to use in the house because it had a headphone jack for silent playing...I used it a half dozen times before getting stuffed on a shelf in my garage were it collected dust. I also sold of a bunch of amp speakers...(3 - 12" Fender / Eminence, and an 8" speaker from an old silver faced Fender Champ), a Samson MDR6 6 channel mixer, and a pair of EV mics.
    I still have two Shure mics, an SM-57, and a Beta 57A that I'm holding onto.
    I didn't get quite as much as I would have liked on some of those auctions, but I got more than I needed to score this Ruger GP, and that was what I was after......