1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

No recoil?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/28/02 9:06:02 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All No recoil?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Twice now I've caught this guy who does a segment on speed shooting, on American shooter or shotgun journal or some such...Point is, this dude is shooting a .45 (I'm pretty sure) so fast that I cant see any recoil at all. I'm wondering are these guys down loading that much? I mean, he gets off two controlled shots before I could recover from the recoil from the first shot.
    ~-~I'm your huckleberry.~-~

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/28/02 10:28:04 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: No recoil?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Donny,

I know a guy that loads them so low that you can
    actually see them hit the target and there's virtually
    no recoil at all, could be that's what that dude is doing.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/28/02 12:13:55 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: No recoil?
    Do you think you could find out how much powder he is using? (all I use is bullseye so far) I'd like to try that, but dont want to get "too low", and damage my weapon.

Thanks alot....

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/28/02 2:57:51 pm)
    If you load too soft you might not get adequate slide cycling, it may not put another round in the barrel chamber.

This could require a weaker recoil spring to compensate for the reduced velocity. Which means buying another recoil spring and snip one ring at time off until you get the desired results.

Then when you want to shoot regular power loads just change the recoil spring to the original one.

Some reduced recoil loads drop like a T____ in the well below normal point of aim.

GG

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/28/02 8:38:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Donny,

I haven't seen him around in awhile but I'll try
    to find out for you.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/29/02 4:41:57 am)
    Well dont go through any trouble on my account, seriously, I can find all the info I need, and as GG reminded me, I'll need to play with the spring as well, which I haven't even ordered yet.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/29/02 7:03:47 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Donny,

I may have one of those spings already set up
    for what you want it for, my MKIV Colt came
    with one when I bought it, the fella that had
    it was using it to shoot low powered loads but
    I put a new spring in it to shoot high powered
    loads, so I have no use for the LP spring, I'll
    see if I can dig it out, if so you can have it
    if you want it, I'll send it to you!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/29/02 1:57:22 pm)
    Donny: That "guy" is Rob Leatham and he doesn't move much more than that when shooting "major" loads. I've watched him practice and he is scary.
    Oh to shoot half that good huh?

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/1/02 6:17:38 pm)

Tac...Man I would appreciate it, but I wouldn't let you just give it to me...I make good money, and will be more than happy to pay for it.

Smokey, you have to be kidding...Wow!
    Where can I catch some more of this dude? Not that I'd ever get "into" race guns, but can you imagine the effective self defense possibilities?...even in hunting...This guy could plug a charging hog five times before the rest of us even saw it comming.

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/1/02 8:11:10 pm)
    He can be seen every other week on American Shooter fridays on the OLN network. Also try americanshooter.com
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Edited by: jeeper1 at: 5/1/02 9:12:42 pm

Tac401
    Administrator
    (5/1/02 9:37:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Donny,

No need, I have no use for it, I'll try to find it
    this weekend.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/2/02 8:19:50 am)
    Donny......you can make a low-powered spring out of a regular one. Just take a regular spring, measure the length.....cut off one coil....stretch it back to it's original length, and try it with your reduced-power load.

Keep doing this (cutting off one coil at a time...and stretching it back to it's original length) until your pistol cycles properly with the load you're using. Then mark it (a dab of white paint works well) so you know what load it's for.

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/2/02 8:45:43 am)
    Donny:
    I shot on the same range in Phoenix. When he was younger, some 10 yrs ago, he was unbeatable. The speed was blinding and damn few misses. I feel he is still the best with open sites.

Just great fun to watch.

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/6/02 6:40:14 pm)
    Smoky, I'd love to attend something like that myself!

Tac, I recieved your e-mail...Very much appreciated bro.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (5/7/02 10:43:36 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    No problem!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Tac401
    Administrator
    (5/11/02 2:59:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Donny,

Watch your mail, I sent it a few days ago!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/3/02 2:45:13 pm)
    Amazing what you can do with a little practice...It's been less than four months since I created this thread, and I have really learned to control the .45 a lot better with moderate power loads...I took some video of the wife, a friend of ours, and I, while shooting last weekend, and we did some rapid fire, while on the move (speed walking toward target) and I was delighted that while watching the video (over and over ) that I controlled the weapon as well as I ever expected, while placing 8 out of 9 shots in the kill zone.

Sweet!

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/3/02 3:09:50 pm)
    Donny: What did you finally come up with for a load? I've been playing around, again, and have yet to find that perfect load.

I'm glad to hear that you are now keeping up with Rob.

Keep shootin

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/4/02 9:22:28 am)
    Yea, I wish I could keep up with rob, LOL, But as you can see I probabally couldn't be much prouder of myself. Ha Ha Ha

The load I was using that day certainally wasn't a "light load" or too powerfull either...Seemed to work real well in the M1991A1 Colt Commander.

Powder: 5.2 Grains Bullseye
    Bullet: RN-FMJ from www.nationalbullet.com/
    Case: Mixed (believe that or not)
    Primer:CCI

I made these bullets up before I learned to seperate the brass or even perfectly weigh each powder charge (just dumped it).

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/4/02 12:19:42 pm)
    Donny: Sounds like my last load which I just threw together and it shot real well for me.
    230 FMJ Win
    5.2 Gr win 231
    Win primer
    Mix but mostly Fed cases

Decent recoil and yet plesant enough for a 3hr session.

Still practicing for that ONE HOLE GROUP

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/10/02 11:06:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del One hole group?
    Maybe one of these days, but I'll probabally pass out if I ever achieve it...Hope I'm not standing on the concrete.

How are you weighing your powder? I've got to be honest, sometimes it's hard to see a real difference between precisely weighing each round and just dumping it...I know its a combination of all factors, but this is taking up most of my time....Along with trimming and chamfering which I enjoy doing because if I dont I always over crimp those longer ones.

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/12/02 9:15:16 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: One hole group?
    I load on a Dillon square deal. I throw 5 loads and weigh them to get my average load then check them every 10 rounds or so. I have found that the Dillon throws powder very accurately and that makes it easy. I usually use a ball powder as they seem to measure better.

I hope that was helpful

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/15/02 5:49:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: One hole group?
    I have the RCBS powder dump...pretty slow in itself, seems to be pretty accurate, but I got into hand weighing each round in order to see if I could pull in some tighter groups...I cant say that it made much difference though.