no stats

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by furb, May 13, 2009.

1. furb

furb New Member

Can't find reloading stats for: rainier ballistics 155 FP powder is Clays. Anyone know how much powder?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I'm assuming .40, although it could be a 10mm load. Need more info to get you an answer. Also need to know what you're using the load for, ie target, IPSC, match.. Also an assumption, that if you're using Clays, its probably a target load. I use Clays for mostly target loads in .40 and .45; I like the economy and clean burning of Clays and I find it to be consistently accurate.

Semper Fi
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Use data for a 155 gr lead bullet for your caliber, start at min. and work up watch for pressure etc. etc. etc. You will be fine. I use rainier ballistics bullets in all my handguns, they recommend using lead bullet data.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

furb:

My older Hodgdon manual says for 40S&W and a 155 gr XTP Hornady bullet that min to max of Clays is 3.6 to 4.0 grains. You should verify this on the Hodgdon reloading site (which was non-operational when I tried). Of course, start at the min and work it up watching for signs of excessive pressure and NEVER exceed the listed max load level.

LDBennett
  5. furb

furb New Member

Thanks everyone for the info. Got busy at work(timberland security). I reloading 40s/w target loads. I tried 3.8 and 4.0 loads and all but one worked fine(1-jam)?
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

What are you shooting and what # recoil spring do you have in it? Did you have the jam with the 3.8 load or at 4.0 ?
  7. furb

furb New Member

I think it was the 3.8 load. Just learning how to use my Dillon 550. Slide was locked. Was able to rack it forward and fire the round. Not sure what spring I have the stock xd-40.