No White House ceremony to be held on Nat'l Day of Prayer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flannelman, May 6, 2009.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    http://onenewsnow.com/Culture/Default.aspx?id=518466

No White House ceremony to be held on Nat'l Day of Prayer
    Associated Press - 5/6/2009 6:55:00 AM

WHITE HOUSE - This Thursday, for the first time in nine years, there won't be a White House ceremony in observance of the National Day of Prayer.

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs says President Barack Obama will pray privately as he does every day, but his only public acknowledgement will be to issue a White House proclamation.

Republican Congressman Randy Forbes, co-chairman of the Congressional Prayer Caucus, says a proclamation urging Americans to pray would be more meaningful if the president set a public example. Forbes calls it a missed opportunity, but says, "Hopefully we'll have millions of people around the country that will make up for the void we see at the White House on the National Day of Prayer." (See Editor's Note below)

Story concludes below ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What could be Barack Obama's reason for not having

a National Day of Prayer ceremony at the White House?

Vote in our poll

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the same day as Gibbs' remarks, the District of Columbia Council gave final approval to legislation that recognizes same-sex "marriages" performed in states where they are legal. Congress has final say over the city's laws and will get 30 days to review the bill. If Congress takes no action, the bill would become law automatically.

Editor's Note: President George W. Bush had held a formal White House event for the past eight years marking the National Day of Prayer. There were no official observances during the Bill Clinton administration. The Bush White House also, for the past several years, recognized the Islam observance of Ramadan with a White House dinner. It remains to be seen if the Obama White House will continue that tradition.
  2. islenos

islenos New Member

well, obama did say we were a secular nation:rolleyes:
  3. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Here is another story on this....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-wi-dayofprayer,0,7980566.story

Obama defends, curtails National Day of Prayer
    By RYAN J. FOLEY | Associated Press Writer
    12:11 PM CDT, May 6, 2009
    MADISON, Wis. - President Barack Obama is scaling back White House plans for Thursday's National Day of Prayer even as his administration defends the tradition in federal court in Wisconsin.

Obama's position has disappointed Christian conservatives, who want the president to do more to mark the day, and an atheist group that wants him to end the tradition.

The Obama administration has asked a judge to dismiss a lawsuit filed by the Freedom From Religion Foundation, which claims the day violates the separation of church and state. In a rare alliance, 31 mostly Republican members of Congress and a prominent Christian legal group are joining the administration to fight the lawsuit.

Congress established the day in 1952 and in 1988 set the first Thursday in May as the day for presidents to issue proclamations asking Americans to pray.

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said Tuesday that Obama would issue such a proclamation Thursday but not hold any public events with religious leaders as President George W. Bush did.

Gibbs said Obama prays privately and his plan for the day was in line with those of past presidents. Still, Obama drew a rebuke from the National Day of Prayer Task Force, a private group that promotes prayer events around the country.

"We are disappointed in the lack of participation by the Obama Administration," said task force chairwoman Shirley Dobson, wife of Focus on the Family founder James Dobson. "At this time in our country's history, we would hope our President would recognize more fully the importance of prayer."

The task force estimates 2 million Americans attended more than 40,000 events marking the day last year.

Meanwhile, Freedom From Religion Foundation Co-Director Annie Laurie Gaylor welcomed Obama's more subdued observance but said she has been shocked by his administration's strong defense of the day in court.

The Madison-based group of 12,000 atheists and agnostics filed the lawsuit near the end of Bush's second term in U.S. District Court in Madison. The suit asks a judge to declare the law unconstitutional and to order presidents and governors to stop issuing prayer proclamations.

The lawsuit also claimed federal and state governments work too closely with Dobson's task force to promote the day and give it a Christian bent. Among other things, the task force asks governors and mayors to issue prayer proclamations and suggests specific Bible verses and themes to quote in them.

The Obama administration asked U.S. District Judge Barbara Crabb to dismiss the case in March. The administration argued the group has no legal standing to sue, said the tradition's roots date to 1775 and that most presidents have invoked faith in a higher power.

It also said the day does not promote religion and argued that preventing presidents from issuing a proclamation would unfairly restrict how they communicate with Americans.

"It was very right-wing," Gaylor said of the administration's arguments. "One would expect that under a Reagan or a Bush, but I did not expect that under an Obama."

She said the day disenfranchises the millions of Americans who do not believe in God or pray and suggested Obama implement a "national day of service" instead.

Thirty-one members of Congress, including House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio and Rep. Eric Cantor, R-Virginia, have filed a friend-of-the-court brief opposing the lawsuit. They call the prayer day "deeply embedded in the tradition and history of this country."

The Alliance Defense Fund, an Arizona-based group of Christian lawyers that is representing Shirley Dobson and the task force, has made similar arguments in asking for the case to be dismissed. Crabb is expected to rule on the motions in coming weeks.
  4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

What could be Barack Obama's reason for not having

a National Day of Prayer ceremony at the White House?

His 'modesty' prohibits such a public display of affection?
  5. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

And this surprises who, considering his background concerning Islam, Christianity and Church?
  6. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Makes sence to me, Obama said this is not a Christian Nation, today is not a Muslim holiday. It seems strang to me, every where I go I run into Christians and hear God Bless you. Only among the political class dowe hear that this is not a Christian Nation. These are people who criminalize praying in Jesus Name. I t won't be long before I'll be unable to pray in the name Of the Father, Son and Holly Ghost. For all I know the "Hate Crime Bill will soon make me a criminal for expressing my Christian views.
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  7. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I'm sure he prays 5 times a day in the direction of Mecca, hence the deep bow to Saudi's king. It's alright to be a Muslim, just don't deny it Barry Husein. TJ
  8. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

You said it before I got a chance to:p
  9. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

The Freedom from Religion Foundation wan'ts instead of a National day of Prayer to have a National Day of Service. May I sugest Emancipation Day celebrating the end of slavery.
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  10. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

May I sugest Emancipation Day celebrating the end of slavery.

It's been done: "June-teenth!"
  11. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

Little does he know that he has caused a LOT more fervent prayers just by being in office, than any observance of a special day of prayer may ever cause! Every day is now a "day of prayer"! *hair flip*

As for Bush observing Ramadan..................
  12. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

The White house is probably a little low on rugs.
  13. artabr

artabr New Member

I guess he was telling the truth when he said he didn't hear anything in Rev. Wrights church during the 20 years that he spent sitting in those services. :rolleyes:

Art
  14. Perhaps his Imam wasn't able to attend. :rolleyes:
  15. Just One Shot

Just One Shot New Member

16. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

I've got nothing to add...

All of you have done a wonderful job. Quite eloquently.
    I don't know which was my favorite !

Well said !
  17. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

18. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Ahhh ha ha ha, you guys beat me to it.:D
  19. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I said a silent prayer today... That God's will be done... I pray for truthfulness but silently wish for a proclamation of inadequate credentials by Obama to hold the office of President. Only time will tell if that is true...
  20. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

No comment. You have all commented well.

Can't allow my BP to get out of hand. Don't want to precipitate an MI.....