Non-Lethal Home Defense

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cec, Jan 10, 2006.

1. cec

cec New Member

I was thinking back to when I bought my home, I was going through checking for places for non-lethal home defense before having an alarm installed.

For example, rose bushes in front of low windows. Who wants to go through all that?

I was trying to come up with a way to secure the bulkhead door/entryway. I had one idea that was quickly halted, much to my dismay.

Realizing that booby-traps are illegal, I couldn't do the old shotgun and a string tied to my door. Even though I could claim that if you didn't try to break in, it wouldn't go off. I wanted to do the next best thing.

I planned to place my shotgun (or a realistic toy) facing the door. When the door was opened a relay would be tripped. That relay would trigger two things, a strobe light and a recorded shotgun blast. Given that the basement is usually dark, I figured this would have the desired effect.

However several things were pointed out to me.

While extremely funny, this could still be considered a booby trap. Especially if the intruder had a heart attack on my steps. Then I would have to explain the mess, why they would have the heart attack, and since I had non-lethal in mind could I explain the plastic lining the bulkhead.

If the intruder managed to survive, I would still have a mess/smell to deal with.

If I sent a copy of the recording to Funniest Home Videos to cover legal costs, I couldn't do so while the case was in court, the whole evidence thing.

If for some reason I decided to enter through the bulkhead and forgot to disarm the system, I would scare the, umm, poo out of myself.

Finally, if for some reason my wife decided to enter via the bulkhead and forgot to disarm the system, I would no longer have a reason to worry because she would kill me as soon as I got home. Actually it would be a race, would she kill me or would I die of laughter?

Just another random thought from that thing I call my brain.
  2. KyBlaster

KyBlaster New Member

I've been told that shrubs or rose bushes in front of low windows actually offer a would be thief concealmeant for when hes robbing you.

Having a dog, I think, helps. Motion sensor security lights help too. If you can't swing getting a security system, you can get the stickers and put them on your windows so thieves might think you do.

Then theres always landmines. :D :eek: :D
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

M-18 Claymores are the best perimeter defense along with razor wire.
    (Don't forget "Front Toward Burglar) :D
    This method may not meet you non-lethal home defense requirement and may not work if the burglar happens to have a couple bangalore torpedoes .
  4. cec

cec New Member

The landmine option is fun, maybe if I used paintball style filled with the exploding dye that banks use...

The rose bushes in question are the thick vine, big thorn style, plus the thief would have to remove the lattice work. Since I live on a busy road less than 2 miles from a police station, I hope that someone would notice.

The idea was to make my home less of a target and have them move on. If someone wants to go through all that to get to my home, I hope that myself or my wife are not home. I can replace stuff.

I have the sensor lights (one side/front, one back). Those things trip on almost anything bigger than a house cat (damn possum).

The stickers are good idea.

I am also all for the razor wire, but the wife may not like the security check points or giving invited guests a map and long pole just in case.
  5. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

cec

I have a bunch of the phony alarm stickers send me you addy and I'll mail you some
  6. KyBlaster

KyBlaster New Member

The robber better hope me and my wife are not home. He will most likely leave in a body bag.
  7. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

22WRF

M-18 Claymores are the best perimeter defense along with razor wire.

Remind me ......not to come and visit you without calling first.............
  8. I definitely like 22's M-18 idea. Having seen those puppies work on many occasions, I have NO doubts as to their effectiveness! :D Placing those on the perimeter, along with razor wire, would likely have at least a "minor" deterent effect. And just think of the secondary benefit: Next Halloween, no trick-or-treaters disturbing your repose. :D :cool: :p
  9. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

I'm reminded of a character in a Robert Heinlein book. His driveway was posted, "Private Road, mined"

When the police came to ask about it, he said it was a spelling error.
  10. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Must have been Lazarus Long. [grin]

I like having the NRA stickers on the back door and strategically placed on windows.

Add those to the dog and the fact I'm up late most nights tends to help deter would-be invaders.
  11. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

Shot gun is loaded like this:
    Rubber Slug LTL
    #7.5 bird shot
    00 buck
    Slug
    0000 buck
    Then 357, 9mm, 7mmRem Mag.

If he is still running down the road, Wife and I will pull out the long range stuff.

Ray

Edit:
    Forgot to add sign in window:
    Pitbull with AIDS loves to bite
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  12. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

You can get home alarm systems for under 200 bucks. Anyone with moderate handy-man(or woman) skils can install them.

You might want to think about some inexpensive do-it-yoursely stuff you can get at the mega home improvement stores to start with.

Battery operated sensors for windows & doors <$25 make a lot of noise when activated.

Motion sensor light & siren <$50 Hook this up to a keypad <$30 mounted outside and you can turn it off outside before you go in...

Motion sensor sprinklers <$75 in the bushes aimed under the windows.

Install motion sensors in rooms so that they can be seen from windows where burglers may enter. They need not be connected to a functioning system - just seeing them increases the risk of geting caught and may make the would-be burgler pass you up.

Just a few thoughts.

I have always liked the idea of setting traps for burglers. But someone smarter than I thinks burglers and other low life scum have rights greater than mine.
  13. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Rottweiler.

Sponge, mop, and bucket (to clean up whatever body parts the Rottweiler leaves). :D
  14. hillbilly_joe

hillbilly_joe New Member

steel bear traps #15 or #16, should work

Attached Files: