Non-Resident CCW permit

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by belercous, Mar 31, 2010.

1. belercous

belercous Former Guest

At the range today I was told that a PA ccw permit can be obtained, thru the mail, which will allow me to cary in states granting reciprocity. From what I've gathered on the interweb PA grants ccw permits to gun owners from out of state. (I'd try to gather more but I'm on dial-up and my antique computer is low on diesel, so I thought that the collective wisdom of TFF would save me some time. And fuel.)
    It is my understanding that some counties in PA will issue ccw permits to out of state residents whose home state does not allow ccw. I understand that such a permit will not allow me to carry in ILL. I live just across the river from St. Louis, MO, which allows cc, and occaisionaly go there. And anyone who knows STL will attest that ccw is a good idea, even in daylight. I have a valid ILL FOID card, am under no disability preventing me from owning a gun, and also have a card issued from the ILL DNR certifying that I've successfully completed hunter saftey training.
    My questions to you gentlemen, if anyone knows, are; can I obtain a PA CCW permit without actually going to PA? And if so, from what PA county?
    I ask these questions not only for myself, but also I have a friend whose 24 yr. old daughter works in downtown STL.
    I thank you ahead of time for your response(s) and I'll take my answer off the air.
  2. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I got my PA thru the mail but had to send in a copy of my home state CCL which is NH along with references and enought info for a background check. It gave me 5 more states and at $18 is almost as good a deal as NH at $10. Without a home state CCL I don't think it is available.
  3. wpage

wpage Active Member

God Bless Pennsylvania...
  4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

5. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

CAUTION
    Be careful about having a non res CCW and a picture ID (drivers lic) from another state.
    Example, you have an Pa CCW and a DL from your state. There are several if not all states that will not recognize the CCW if your DL is from another state.
    All that glitters ain't gold so be sure of what you are getting before you spend your money.

UF
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

There are 6 states that only accept your permit if you are a resident of the state you hold the permit: CO, FL, ME, MI, NH, & SC. My resident NH permit is good in 4 of those.
    Last edited: May 23, 2010