Noobie question weight vs powder die

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Pops Fun, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Pops Fun

Pops Fun New Member

Hi
    I have a new lee pro 1000. Just trying to get it to work properly :rolleyes: .
    Finally threw some powder today. I am using IMX 800X powder, loading 9mm, 115 grain bullets. According to Modern reloading I need 6.2 grains of powder for a start load. It says use a .66 auto-disk. When I use the .66 auto-disk I get 5.4 grains?? When I look in the shell I see about a 3/4 load, book volume is .67? Weighing on a Cabela XT 1500 digital scale.

Do I need to try different auto-disc or get a new scale? The scale seems to calibrate correctly with the 50 gram test weight??

Steve, confused in Cincinnati
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

My experience with the Lee Auto Disk powder measure was that the charts were not very accurate. I would trust the powder scales and increase to a different disk until the measure throws charges just at or below the desired weight. So, forget the chart. Just use your scale to get to the correct weight charge. But do check the powder scales accuracy with the test weight.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  3. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

Throw ten charges, then average them.
    Change disk if necessary.
    Weigh every tenth charge.
    If you throw enough charges, vibration will pack the powder down in the powder measure, creating heavier loads!
    When I use a progressive, I always load to the light side.
    Some powder measures may "Fluff" the charge.
    My RCBS powder measure, when using Reloader 7, fluffs enough, that a charge no where's near maximum must be gently tapped, to make room for the bullet.
    As far as the accuracy of your scale, compare with someone else's if possible. Buy a cheap beam type as a back up. You MUST have a scale you trust!
  4. Pops Fun

Pops Fun New Member

Hi
    thanks for helping a new guy!!

Another noobie question. :) When I spill powder (imr 800x), clumsy.... How do you clean up?

brush back to the powder can... ?
    brush and throw away, spread outside?
    pick up every little grain?
    vacuum up with shop vac? (don't think so)
    How do you clean up??
    :confused:

Steve
  5. Shellback

Shellback New Member

I sure wouldn't put it back in the can, more then likely it will be contaminated, I put mine in my wifes flower bed behind my shop. I just sweep it and trow it out.
    Tim
  6. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

A shop vac is fine, with the proper filters, not just the foam core. Use a paper over filter. Don't let it accumulate! empty after every use. a few grains would be harmless. I know someone is going to storm in here over this, just use your head! plus the vacuum gets it out of those tiny places that can cause a big lock up down the road.
  7. Pops Fun

Pops Fun New Member

Another noobie question.
    When you measure a finished bullet. Shell and bullet together.

modern reloading has a drawing that says it should be 1.169". Yet my UMC 9mm bullets are 1.088. Do mine have to be 1.169" or can they somewhere between?
    The question is:
    Is there a tolerance that I should be between or should they be exact 1.169"
  8. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

Make sure they fit the magazine, and chamber well. short is better than long. too close to the lands=higher pressures, BAD!
    Case length is important in auto loaders, due to that is how they head space. Not OAL.
  9. Pops Fun

Pops Fun New Member

Re: Noobie how much powder ??

Hi
    I am a complete newbie to this. After some frustration getting my pro 1000 set up :eek:
    Info again: I have started dropping powder ..... I am making 9mm ammunition using 115 grain bullets and changed to Winchester 231 powder. Weighing on a Cabela xt 1500 scale. The modern reloading book says 4.3 minimum grains and 4.8 max.

Using the .40 powder disc it drops an average (30 loads) of 4.2 grains. min 4.1 and max of 4.2? (4.3 minimum in the book)
    The .43 disc throws an average (15) of 4.52 grains, min 4.4 (1) max 4.6 ?? (4.8 is the max in the book)

Now they say start with the minimum and work up. Using the .43 I'd be at in the middle which is a little toward the high side.

Do I open up the .40 (drill/sandpaper) so it throws a little more powder?? Or just make ammunition using the avg of 4.52) and shut up!!

Steve
  10. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Pops Fun:

That Lee disk measure is NOT ideal but their drum one is just as bad. But you have to use what you got....

You are trying to get at 4.3 to 4.8 grains of W231:

The .40 disk get 4.2 grains on average

The .43 get 4.5 grains on average.

So there you have it... your starting load will be with the .40 disk and your max load is with the .43 disk. That gives you 4.2 to 4.5 grains. Unless you are having a contest with someone to see who can load the fastest 9mm round, stopping at 4.5 grains is absolutely fine (the gun will last longer) and starting 1/10th grain below the starting load is no problem. Most measures are only good to 1/10 grain anyway. Go for it!

Pistol loads with W231 and cartridges from 38 Special and up can vary by 1/10 th grain with no problem and you will not be able to detect it on the target 99.9% of the time. Super accurate powder measurements are totally swamped out by all the other varibles in reloading ammo. Strive for repeatability but 1/10 grain accuracy in powder measurements is more than good enough. And starting 1/10th grain below the starting load level is also more than good enough.

GENERAL INFORMATION:

Hodgdon HP38 and W231 are the same exact powder. Winchester says 4.3 to 4.8 grains and Hodgdon says 4.7 to 5.1 grains. Winchester is being conservative. But if it is cast lead or swedged lead bullet you are using then keep the velocities low (less powder) or getting the lead out of your barrel after a range session will be a nightmare. If it is jacketed bullets you are using then go for the higher limit of Hodgdon.

The Lee measure is throwing charges about a 1/10th grain low so I think to get closer to the max load of 4.8 grains you could even use the .46 disk but check it out by testing first. Don't waste your time modifying the disk holes but get as close as you can to your max without exceeeding it.

Hope this helps.

LDBennett
  11. Pops Fun

Pops Fun New Member

Hi
    Thanks for the info. I loaded 20 last night 4.4/4.5 grains and am taking them to the range this morning.

Steve
  12. artabr

artabr New Member

Pops, I'd be careful about seating your bullets too deep. The over all length listed in your manual is there for a reason.
    If you seat your bullets too deep you will increase your pressure sometimes by a very dangerous amount!!
    The .40 S&W is real bad about this. The chart at the top of the link below is for the .40 S&W and I know that you are loading 9 m/m, but it gives you an idea of how dangerous this could be.
    It don't take much to do a world of hurt on your gun or even worse, yourself or a loved one. Stick to the book. :)

http://www.greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm

Art
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  13. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante New Member

Pops Fun,

I have the Lee Classic Turret Press and the Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure. I used the disks for a while and got the same results you have been getting. I had to use a powder trickler to get to the correct charge.
    Then I got the Lee Auto Disk Adjustable Powder Charge Bar and I stopped using the discs. It is $9.99 on Midway and is a bargain. Read the reviews on Midway.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  14. Pops Fun

Pops Fun New Member

Hi
    Thanks for the info. I have read it once and will reread it again to understand it better!!

Steve
  15. Pops Fun

Pops Fun New Member

Hi
    Thanks for the reply. I will definitely get this on my next order!!