The Firearms Forum banner

Norinco 1911 Value

Tags
6K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  tuckerd1 
#1 ·
I need to come up with an estimate for insurance purposes for a Norinco 1911. It had trigger job, fitted barrel lockup and barrel bushing. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Pictures please.....nobody can make an accurate assessment without pics...

#3 ·
Don, if that way my old pistol, the value will be $600.

I'd also check the auction sites and see what they are SELLING for since they are no longer imported.

The Standard Catalog of Firearms, 2014 edition, list it in excellent condition at $400. We both know you won't
touch one for that anymore.

#5 · (Edited)
Sam, it was your old pistol.

I do not have a good pic of that pistol. I have a pic with it in a case with other guns but it is too small to accurately rate it's condition.

Sam can describe what had been done to the pistol probably better than me, because he had the work done. It was very reliable and above average accuracy. Maybe not match grade, but was a very good self defense grade.

I've checked auction sites. The price for non-modified vary from $450-600.

#7 ·
Sam, it was your old pistol.

I do not have a good pic of that pistol. I have a pic with it in a case with other guns but it is too small to accurately rate it's condition.

Sam can describe what had been done to the pistol probably better than me, because he had the work done. It was very reliable and above average accuracy. Maybe not match grade, but was a very good self defense grade.

I've checked auction sites. The price for non-modified vary from $450-600.
I paid $260 OTD for my 1st one but that was a long time ago.

Russ Jackson, Do you want to share what you thing is so amusing ?

#13 ·
I paid $279 + 5% FL sales tax back in 1993 for my Norinco 1911A1.

The last few I saw in the 85%-95% condition range sold for $350 to $500.

Even though they weren't the prettiest or best fit 1911's out there, they are highly desired by builders for "race guns" and other build-ups because of the fact that the Norinco 1911 was made in the strongest steel ever used in a 1911 - 5100 series carbon steel. It is stronger than the steel used in ANY of the other manufacturers - yep, stronger than Colt, Kimber, Nighthawk, Clark, Brown, Springfield, Remington, etc, etc, etc.. That steel is nearly as hard as the tooling bits that machinists use, and if you do any machine work on it you'll be buying extra bits because of that.

#14 ·
If it's a case of insurance value, you won't likely be able to insure it for much more than whatever the best price you can find in a book for it. The modifications don't add insurance value unless you get a written value estimate from a very reputable gun dealer that the insurance company would just have to listen to. Insurance companies are notorious for paying as little as possible.

If nothing else, you should be able to get pretty much the maximum book value minus any deductible if you ever have to make a claim for the pistol. Other than that, an insurance company isn't likely to pay more anyway.

#15 ·
If it's a case of insurance value, you won't likely be able to insure it for much more than whatever the best price you can find in a book for it. The modifications don't add insurance value unless you get a written value estimate from a very reputable gun dealer that the insurance company would just have to listen to. Insurance companies are notorious for paying as little as possible.

If nothing else, you should be able to get pretty much the maximum book value minus any deductible if you ever have to make a claim for the pistol. Other than that, an insurance company isn't likely to pay more anyway.
Thanks. The pistol has been stolen and I have replacement value ins, including modifications. I just need to get an estimate for the pistol and the mods and that is what they will pay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.