Norinco .45 Project

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (7/5/01 11:24:44 am)
    Reply Norinco .45 Project
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently bought a Norinco .45 in great shape. I took it to Ace Systems for a trigger job. It breaks clean at 3.5 lbs. with no creep or take up. Al also fitted a long trigger.

I brought it home and fitted a new Wilson link.(.092 opened to .094) Yesterday I high cut the frame using a Dremel tool and small round files.

After applying cold blue solution and a little polishing, you can't tell this from a factory cut. The pistol sits lower in my hand, so less noticeable recoil.

The next modification will be to fit a new barrel bushing as the stock one is a little loose. This will make the pistol more accurate ,even with the stock barrel.

I'll keep this post updated as work progresses. Now, to go shoot.

Bompa
    (7/5/01 9:22:34 pm)
    Reply Re: Norinco .45 Project
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like fun,keep going and don't forget to keep us
    posted on the progress..

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/6/01 1:26:45 am)
    What Bompa said shooter45 - what Bompa said.

Enjoy the project.

tuckerd1
    (7/6/01 6:12:19 am)
    I'm looking forward to shooting it when you finish the project!!! Bring plenty of ammo!!!! lol!!

Don

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (7/6/01 6:18:21 am)
    Will do.

hammer4nc
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/6/01 4:54:43 pm)
    shooter45,

What type of barrel bushing? I fitted "oversize" bushings to a couple of inexpensive 45's, using the "b reamer" (brownells #170-531-002) for the i.d., and hand fitting the bushing o.d.-to-frame fairly tight, so you have to use a wrench to install...accuracy results were fantastic!

That's about the extent of my gunsmith experience so far...although I just now placed a parts order for a para-ordnance frame that I bought some time ago. I'll probably be posting questions often on this board, to get some help (beavertail install, msh install, etc.). Love to compare notes along the way!

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (7/6/01 5:23:13 pm)
    Hammer, I prefer the military NM bushings when I can get them at gun shows. If not Ed Brown, Wilson, and McCormick make good NM bushings. The Para - Ordnance is a great wide body gun to build. Briley makes one of the best ramped NM barrels for them. I just sold a custom P-16. Parts are plentiful. Good luck with your project. Shooter

Edited by: shooter45 us at: 7/6/01 6:30:33 pm

TYRVR
    (7/7/01 6:07:04 am)
    Briley also makes A terrific bushing for barrels, has A floating ring that is always centered, and does not bind when angle pressure is applied at time of breech locking, bought about A dozen for future projects, cause sure as heck, A great product hits the market and soon the price is like A bottle rocket, have fun with that Norinco, Shooter, sounds like A great project,
    If Heaven ain't got A loading bench.....I'm going to Hell,

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (7/7/01 8:33:37 am)
    Tye,Good to see you back. You're right about the Briley bushings. They are great but the price has shot up already. They cost me about $42 wholesale. I'd love to have one but.... I'll just have to do it the old fashion way.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (7/25/01 12:06:08 am)
    I still haven't fitted a barrel bushing for the Norinco. I've been busy with other things.
    I polished the feed ramp today. I then loaded a Metalform eight round mag with an assortment of ammo. Hardball, semi- wadcutter,and hollow points. All staggered. The pistol fired every round, even one 185 gr. semi -wadcutter.
    This pistol is going to be a serious carry gun. More later.
    Shooter

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/25/01 11:58:02 am)
    Sounds good Sam. I've been looking at some of the less expensive 1911 clones out there for a defense pistol. This 'Rimco' sounds like a good one. And I tried to take it off your hands!! Keep showing it to folks and someone is going to make you an offer you can't refuse!! LOL!!!

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (7/25/01 12:43:35 pm)
    Tuck, I was showing off this pistol yesterday and turned down $500.00. The guy wanted it bad. lol.

blindhogg
    (9/1/01 8:01:50 pm)
    Shooter45
    Don't sell your Norinco, they are a great base gun. Far better than some of the Phillipine guns being brought into the country at this time.
    Chris from Va

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/3/01 8:19:27 pm)
    Chris, It is too late. I now own the Norinco. Got it in a trade from Sam (Shooter45)

Don