Norinco 98 (870 copy)?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/20/02 10:16:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Norinco 98 (870 copy)?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I need some input here. I'll begin by saying that I own two 870 "combat shotguns" and two Mossbergs as well(one 590 and one "standard 500" 18 1/2" with ghost ring). I have been looking at the Norinco 870 copies. I've always regreted not buying at least two or three of the Chicom Tokarevs when they were cheap(I listened to alot of the misinformation about them not being a very rugged, reliable value) I own two Chicom SKS's and wish I had bought a half a dozen, back when they were cheap. I saw the Norinco 45's dry up and stood on the sidelines..... In all these cases, The Chinese guns were robust, reliable and a FANTASTIC value... Now I'm listening to some people talk about how the Norinco "870's" are "probably substandard". But, feedback that I'm starting to hear from people who have bought them and shot them is VERY GOOD.....
    Any Opinions???????
    Your Buddy,
    MO JENKINS

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/21/02 7:18:50 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Norinco 98 (870 copy)?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Norincos can be made to be reliable. Expect to deal with a lot of rough machining on the internals. The ones that I've handled have been stiff as cobs to work the action, compared to an 870 or 590.

If you've got the time and a supply of Arkansas stones, go for it.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/21/02 7:54:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Norinco 98 (870 copy)?
    Hey Doc!
    Yup, I'm lookin' to buy again! Moved to New Hampshire and didn't buy a gun for six months. Then about a month ago I made the mistake of goin' into a shop with $300 in my pocket. Came out with one BEAUTIFUL Colt Commando, 4". Bout two weeks ago, I "slipped" again. Went into another shop with $200 in my pocket, came out with a Ruger 22 Single-Six(like new). Well this brings me to the day before yesterday. Went into another shop with the intent of "just lookin'" Came out with a Parked 590(G.R., the works) Now I'm debating on whether to get a Rinco "870"(while they're still VERY cheap) or going for a Security-Six or S&W 66!!?? I've always appreciated your helpful insight and wise counseling in the past, SOOO.... whay'dya think???
    Your Buddy,
    MO JENKINS

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/21/02 9:52:16 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Norinco 98 (870 copy)?
    I'd go for the S&W.

I would only buy the Norinco if I had to have a short shotgun and I was budget-limited. It is a viable alternative for that situation.

The S&W will hold decent resale value over both the other options you list.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/21/02 9:41:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Norinco 98 (870 copy)?
    Thanks again Doc,
    As usual, you're right! I'm gonna try to keep my eyes focused on a couple of S&W 66's that are hangin' around the shops I go to. I stopped by "Ye Olde Shoppe" on the way home from work today and saw a nice new little Ruger 9mm...... GOD HELP ME!!!!!!!!!! Somebody stop me, PLEASE!!!!!!
    Your Buddy,
    MO JENKINS