Norinco SKS

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rentalguy1, Oct 24, 2009.

1. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

Not sure of age or numbers, but it is a nice looking weapon. It has seen use, but it doesn't appear to have been abused. It is one of the rifles on my buy list, and the seller is asking $240, which I am pretty sure I can get it for $200. Sound like a good deal, or keep looking?
  2. zb338

zb338 New Member

Don't know what they are worth now, but they were selling new
    for $99 at local gun shows around Pennsylvania. Not too
    long ago.

Zeke
  3. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

Assuming that the rifle is in good condition, my opinion is that $240 sounds like a very good price... $200 like a great deal.

A lot depends on condition of wood, metal, bore... matching numbers, bayonet? Also take into account arsenal... is it a military or "commercial" rifle? etc.

For detailed information on the SKS go here and to the Chinese Forum... or do a search:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php
  4. pawn

pawn New Member

$200 to $240 is a good deal IMHO. You won't find any new ones for $99 here in Tennessee. I would say grab it if the rifle is in good condition. They are fun shooters.
  5. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I've seens Norincos in good shape go for $400 here. $200-240 is a good deal, depending on condition.
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

240 is a fair price, talk him down to 225 or get him to throw in some ammo. if it is a stock sks with bayonet mount then go for it. if it doesnt have the bayonet lug then dont. you can get a bayonet for like 5 or 10 at the most
  7. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

It appears to have some age on it, but like I said, not abused. It also has the folding bayonet on it. Not sure if that tells much or not. I got back from a trip to Bass Pro Shops too late to get it today, and they are closed tomorrow. I will go over there first thing Monday and try to buy it. In a positive note, though, I did find and was able to buy four boxes of .380 ACP at BPS today. That's the first time I've seen any in a year.
  8. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

Be sure that when you get your receipt it is clearly dated and clearly states SKS with mounted bayonet.

Reason for this has to do with the 1989 ban.

In short a Chinese SKS rifles imported after 1989 had to have their bayonets removed to be legal under the new ban on assault rifle type features introduced by the Bush government.

... If it was imported before this date its considered "preban" and the bayonet is legal.

Of course the ATF will demand proof of this since they kept no records of serial numbers that are preban and postban.

Unfortunately very few - if any - importers put dates with their important marks either and the ATF has no list of any dates or all the importers either.

However, if you now purchase a rifle "documented" with a mounted bayonet you are "golden"... so make sure your receipt states the fact.

Do a search on the topic 1989 Ban for more info...

Yep... seems .380 is finally coming back... an 7.62 X 39 is coming back down to reasonable prices.

Wonder for how long?
  9. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

SKS prices have been bouncing around. Like new 300 to $500 is being asked for. All I have seen in numbers have been Yugos and some Russian. Appears imports are kind of drying up somewhat