Norinko SKS

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by goofy, Nov 23, 2012.

1. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Mike, I'm not 100%, but with the SKS... The "spring" firing pins vs. the "floating" firing pins, was an after thought, the spring style was to prevent "slam fires". The SKS bolt and firing pins were tapered, and some times the firing pin got "stuck" protruding past the bolt face causing.... Barrrrrrrp!
    I would ASSUME the AK has the same thinking!
    Also.... The spring and floating for the most part are interchangeable on the SKS... I'm sure there is an exception somewhere.
    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
  2. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Mike, I did a little digging, and yes... the "spring loaded" bolt assemblies are "interchangeable" or "good idea" replacements (head space fit / check required) and came about because the softer primers on the non mil-surp type of ammo. So, change bolts (fit and check), and fire away!
  3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Thanks! :)
    I appreciate all you have done for me.
    I just got the gun in yesterday.So will be working on it to get it right.
    I still can't believe I could not tell it was a bolt from a AK not a SKS.
    :banghead:
    Got to slow down!!
    Mike
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I'm confused, are we talking AK or SKS. The SKS has been around for a very long time, long before the invention of the 5.56X45 caliber round. Not only that but to my knowledge the SKS was manufactured only in 7.62X39, as was the AK47. Even when the Russians downsized the caliber in the AK74, they went with their own unique 5.45X39 rather than 5.56X45.

Might you be dealing with a Saiga? That's an AK style rifle that is available in several calibers including the 5.56X45/.223.
  5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Oh crap, I'm sorry, didn't look closely enough at the picture. I'm really baffled now. I never knew Norinco chambered anything in 5.56X45. Maybe it is an aftermarket conversion.