NORTH TEXAS GATHERING (How'd it go?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crpdeth, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Well for those of us unfortunate Texans that didn't get to make the camp out we are anxious to know how it went... I know some of you have laptops so it is conceivable that we could start hearing from ya soon.

The weather looks just about perfect too.

Pictures please!

Crpdeth
  2. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

:):):):(:(:(:(:(

Hello to all..I see no post yet...so I will tell my sad part.

The daughter and I were on time to be there at
    6:30 Sat AM...but experienced repeated car trouble that culminated to a stop near Hillsboro.

I stayed in contact with "45nut" throughout day..and relatives came from Waco to help us. We had to replace a waterpump at a rest stop.

Fortunately there was a clean stop..very nice..and kids had room to play and nice restrooms.

But of course , the water pump was an all day deal on the front wheel drive car..and thanks to relative (big truck mechanic ) he did all the hard stuff ..ie - removing right front tire just to be able to get to "belt tension pulley..."...
    but was after 5 before wrapped up...so told 45nut we were just too out of it to come on...and appeared most if not all would leave after supper....so...I was so sorry we did not make it..but we came close..and I just count our blessings for the help we got and good place we made it to for stopping.

2 grandgilrlies went back to Waco as planned and wife and daughter retrieved them today...while old man licked his wounds...

I dont have camera hooked up for download or would show you two old "paws" that look like they knitted "barb wire sweaters " ....

I heard all had good range time I believe and still thank all for the meet Idea and would look forward to another one soon.

Wishing the best to all .. and hope all had better travels then we did..but am still thankfull.

Lookin forward to other reports here from the gang...

regards,

1shot
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Well... that s*cks... :(:(:(:(

mike
    gn
  4. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Howdy!

Mrs. 45nut and I got to camp about 9 pm and bluesea112, his girlfriend, Mr & Mrs Carver, my buddy Doug and the other camp hosts (I think) were already at the campfire. We got introduced and complained (some would say b_ _ _ _ _ ed) about liberals some, then just had good conversation.

I made breakfast tacos Saturday morning. JLA, his wife and 3 kiddos showed up after breakfast with TAMALES and we were slowly moving toward the range. Bluesea112 had a rifle that needed some work and JLA fixed it then headed to the range.

Doug aka revolverboy headed to the range first. Mrs 45nut and myself soon joined him. Carver and clan, then JLA & clan, then bluesea finally made it in the afternoon.

We shot everything from .22 to a behemoth 45-70 that JLA brought. Personally, my wife and I went through about 700 .22 rounds, plus some .38 spcl, .357 mag, 45 LC, 9mm, 32WS, 30-30.

Everyone had a good time and shot a bunch. My wife said she had a good time and was looking forward to doing it again.

Bluesea's brisket was delicious with some potato salad, tamales, beans, bread & some beverages. I had a hard time staying awake with all the good food in my tummy.

It was nice to meet some of the guys on the board, but we all made one big mistake......no one took any pictures. :confused: Several had cameras, but we were too focused on burning ammo to take even a group photo. :mad:

1shot1k, you were missed....... and so were your wife's beans. :eek: We had some makeup beans, but I'm sure yours were better, ;) Mostly, we were glad you made it home safe to try another trip.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Just adding a little to what 45nut has posted. I don't know how many guns were brought, but it appeared that most brought at least 5 or 6, and some brought as many as 10. There were also some .380's present, as well as 1 7mm mag. I put about 100 rds. through my SKS, and have no idea how many through my two .44 mags., and there were several .45's including ACP. I had brought two camers and completly forgot about them. We spent at least 5 hours at the range, shooting out to 100yds. The first evening we had Bikers Stew around a bon fire, about 9 or 10 folks. The next morning we had breadfast burritos before heading out to the range. Wind was terrible at the range, making it hard to hold on target past 25 yds. Retired back to camp site for brisket, home made tamales, tater salad, and baked beans. Most everyone left after supper. Bluesea was kind enough to give us campers a discount, so the wife and I stayed till almost noon Sunday, before we left for the trip home. We had a really good time, and enjoyed meeting everyone. There are some really knowledgable folks that stalk this forum! There is a possible plan to do this again next year. Anyone interested?
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Absofrickenlutely carver, In fact, I think an Annual TEXAN TFF meet is in order... I had a wonderful time. This forum is graced with wonderful people, the kind of people you proudly call 'family' without hesitation. Our range time, although fighting a 25 mph headwind, still produced some good looking targets. 'Evildoers' beware, these forum members are capable of combat accurate hits in hurricane conditions;)... I think for the most part we kept our targets close (out to 50 yds) due to wind, but bluesea was shooting 100 yds with his 7 mag, a bushmaster .223, and i believe he had a .243 savage also. All his shots were well within a limes diameter at 100 yards with the high winds. All in all some pretty impressive shooting from all members and wives. BTW carver, my wife has decided she wants a .380 thanks to your generosity in letting her send a magazine full down range. 45nut has a pair of the finest colt SAA wheelguns I think I have ever laid hands on, and a whole family of leverguns from pre 64 winchesters, to marlins, to slick action henry rifles. I think the award for the loudest gun has got to go to carver, for his short barreled SKS folder, yes even louder than the 7 mag bluesea was shooting and the .480 I was shooting. The muzzle flash was enormous from that little thing. Dinner was wonderful, company was unbeatable, and Im really looking forward to our next meet... You guys are awesome;):)
  7. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I would have loved to have made it but I also had some car troubles and never got out of Arkansas. If ya do it next year I'm all in.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I must apologize for the lack of pics. I think All TFF members in attendance had cameras but none used them, afterall there was shooting to be done
    :D. We thought we left ours on the desk at home but it turned out to be in the diaper bag the entire time. sorry crp, there will be pics next go round;)
  9. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

Of course an annual N TExas meet is good...but I wouldnt mind another this summer.....a weekend out is OK if your vehicles work.........

semi annual will be ok and at least yearly.......

maybe we can urge the OKlahomie boys and gals to plan one for them and git ourselves invited....

anyway..glad all there had a good time....

10. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Family sure makes me smile. ;) It was so good to get together with some like minded folks that it almost made me forget that "Obozo the Commie" was in charge. :eek:

At least some of us got to meet and break bread, tamales, biker stew, brisket, breakfast tacos, and well you get the picture. Next time, I'll find a way to make enchiladas, Spanish rice & refries for the group. :D I can make the enchiladas up ahead of time, but not too early, then heat them in an oven.

I'm for a bi-annual meeting myself, maybe after Labor Day.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Bi-annual meeting sounds good to me! And, I'll be sure to take some pics next time! As JLA stated there were some really good looking groups being fired from our guys. I even had two other folks there at the range comment on them, including the range safety officer.

JLA, I lost that .380! I let the wife shoot it, and it now belongs to her! Oh well, I wanted to get a high capicity 9 anyway!!!
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Bi-Annual sounds great! I say lets go back around the 4th of july, Catch a good fireworks show and make some noise ourselves;)... I think next go round ill smoke a brisket and a pork loin in the smoker...
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats about right;) Last I was at cheaper than dirt they had used M9s for 399 + tax, we have those newfangled XD-M springfields that hold 19+1 9mm at the gun shop. I wanna say they run 6 and a half and come with ALL the goodies. I also have an Intratec tec-9 I have been thinking of trading in, It has a 36 rd. mag and sling attatchments:D... I think next go round I am bringing my military rifle collection, I feel I have been neglecting my most enjoyable shooters here lately anyways.

HERES TO NEXT GO ROUND!

Josh
  14. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Well it sounds like everyone had a good time at least, even though we don't get any pics... I hated to hear about 1shot's vehicle problems though.

Hopefully next time Mike and I can get over that direction.

Bluesea... Thanks for everything you did.

Crpdeth