Northstar holster

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by NGIB, Jun 8, 2011.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Northstar holster - Review

I was a very fortunate fella and won the May giveaway and the holster arrived on Monday. I'm very impressed with the quality of workmanship and the design. Haven't carried with it yet; however, I liked it enough that I purchased the same holster for my SP101 this morning...
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

A good friend borrowed this holster for a trip to Florida - where conceal is a must. I asked him to take some pix and comment on the holster and he's quite pleased. I liked the one that I won so I ordered another for my SP101 and it came in yesterday - and I'm very happy. Lots of pix here but it shows the holster in use:

Well, I asked NGIB if I could borrow an IWB holster from him the other day for my recent trip down to Florida, and seeing as he had just received a new IWB holster he said sure. Just asked me if I would write a review of the holster when I got back. SO here is my review:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My initial impression is that this was a good quality thick leather IWB holster.

[​IMG]

As you can see only the outside of the holster is dyed. At first this holster was VERY stiff. Of course this is normal with the majority of leather holsters when you first start wearing them. It is a slim pancake style of holster, and the belt loops are made of good solid kydex and are held in place by a good set of Chicago screws.

[​IMG]

As far as an IWB holster this fits the bill really well. I took this first set of pics so you could see the position of the holster as to where I typically wear my set up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Same setup with the shirt hanging down

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There was no problems tucking the shirt in either.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made the mistake of wearing this holster without an undershirt and rubbed a nice raw spot into my side. The retention is extrememly tight, but that is to be expected on a leather IWB, especially when you cinch your belt tight. I threw out the first 3 days of wearing it when considering the comfort of this holster. Once it begins to break in, it is comfortable to wear around, (if your used to carrying a fullsize 1911 on your hip to begin with). Overall in my opinion this is a very well constructed holster and it wears well.

My SP101 in the new rig:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the good honest review. My opinion is that with all of our holster choices out there, why not use the services of one of our forum members. I hope more members choose to do so!
  4. Country101

Country101 Active Member

One thing that I think could be improved on as far as aesthetics goes is the staining. In the picture of the back of the holster, the stain is not quite as neat as I would hope for it to be. I would think the back should be stained as well to make this a little more "clean" looking. Either that or maybe the back portion could be stained and later the outer edges cut to match the front piece, so that the stain is uniform and doesnt get on the back side?

Otherwise, the holster looks really good and well built. I'm glad we have some talented guys around here. I like to buy from people I know and can trust. Wish I had more money to support them with.
  5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

In defense of the maker, this holster was a freebie that I was lucky enough to win here. The one I bought a few days later was really professionally done and stained front & back and impeccably finished...
  6. Country101

Country101 Active Member

NGIB, I'm not putting down the holster in any way. The only reason I mentioned that is for constructive criticism. I want him to do well, and he is a lot more talented than I am. I just wanted to bring that to his attention if it wasnt something he had thought on.
  7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Understood pardner, I just wanted folks to know that the freebie may not have received the TLC a purchased holster would...
  8. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

Country is correct, in that dye job should have been neater. I try to detail my work and have adopted a different method for dyeing. I now dye before the leather is cut and sewn. It gives a more uniform finish and eliminates some issues that arise when I mold the holster to the gun. Black tends to cover well and doesn't show the burnishing that occurs when molding is done, but any other color is problematic if I dye aftewards. I also dye the entire holster now, and seal well with a water-resitant clear finish, that I rub out much the same as I would if finishing a piece of furniture.I have also built furniture and cabinetry for a living and when woodworking, you tend to not get to concerned about the backs, bottoms of cabinetry, that when installed and fastened will never be seen by anyone but the installer. I have always sealed both sides of millwork as a rule, so that equilibrium is maintanted as far as moisture content. Anyway, the upshot is , I continually try to improve my work to achieve a professional result and satisfy my customer, a poor reputation is easier to acheive than a good rep and a good rep goes away a lot quicker than a bad rep.That said, if you buy a holster from me, and are dissatisified with it, I will make it right.

I should identify myself as the maker of this holster, in case anyone is confused...:D
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  9. ka64

ka64 Active Member

I bought the same one in 1911 and are very pleased with the comfort.
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

The dye on the back is meaningless to me. I bought a crossbreed a few years ago and its not dyed on the inside. I guess its up to the individual. I looked at galco and others and I cant tell much difference if any from yours and theirs. Keep up the good work!
  11. ka64

ka64 Active Member

Thats funny because mine is dyed inside and out, front and back.