Norton anti virus question ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

warpig883
    (1/3/02 4:26:23 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Norton anti virus question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just got the Norton 2002 anti virus program. I am going to install it in my computer. Should I uninstall the old Norton I got in there or will this one override it or whatever it does?
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

gpostal
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/3/02 4:48:24 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Norton anti virus question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    me personaly would let it overide it ,when the first one was installed it might have had some sort of free perk software you might not know you are using ,

overiding it wont take up any more space

oh!, then you send it to me

Jackson
    (1/3/02 5:09:43 pm)
    Warpig: You must remove the older version of Norton. However, not to worry, the new version takes care of all that for you.

warpig883
    (1/3/02 5:29:54 pm)
    Welcome Jackson nice to see a new member

I got two different answeres so I think I will ask Norton
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

AntiqueDr
    (1/3/02 5:36:46 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Norton anti virus question
    When I installed my 2002 Norton, the program prompted me to uninstall the old Norton - which it did for me.

So far, nothing but good to say about the 2002 Norton.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/3/02 6:05:47 pm)
    Yo dudes, can I put that norton2002 into my windows 95? Ain't got any kind of anti anything far as I know.

BlackGun
    (1/3/02 6:19:33 pm)
    Welcome to the Board Jackson. We're always glad to have a new member. Drop by the Pump House, Warpig and I'll buy you a round on the house of best brew in the world. Bob's Best.

IB send me an e-mail with your address and I'll send you Nortons! No charge!
    Make Peace, Nor war! He who angers you, controls you! !

BlackGUN

gpostal
    (1/3/02 6:41:52 pm)
    welcom jackson

ib sure can ,maybe if i get him to send it to me ,i can forward it to you ,with a few bucks to take some of the expense off

like i said just overwrite it ,i wasn't for sure if it would automaticly un-install the old one ,but it still works about the same

its a personal choice if the old one you have has a uninstaller ,"but reall old ones don't" ,another reason to overwrite ,

i would tell you to overwrite the old one for these reasons ,most people delete instead of using a un-installer ,wich you have heard be preach about in the past

warpig883
    (1/3/02 6:59:53 pm)
    I read in the instruction book that I have to uninstall it so I did. When I did it said I have some quarantines files and gave me the option to delete them or save them to submit to Norton for analysis. I saved them and when the new version is done installing I suppose I will try to submit them and see what they say.

The Norton 2002 is for windows 98 and up.

gpostal
    (1/3/02 7:10:28 pm)
    keep us posted

did you check your email about a C&R question?

warpig883
    (1/3/02 9:37:05 pm)
    No I have not checked it. I am doing so now.

I got the Norton installed just fine. It found no viruses. I have no idea what happened to the quarantined files I saved. Everything is working good.

I had to register to download the lastest virus updates and they record the serial number of the Norton you have so I do not see how you guys could use it if I sent it to you.

gpostal
    (1/3/02 9:50:54 pm)
    thats ok warpig

i do trade software with my brother and a few others we just never register it

BlackGun
    (1/3/02 9:58:27 pm)
    DUH! Pounding my head against the keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Register! Register! Register! Register! Register! Register!Register! Register! Register!Register! Register! Register! Register! Register! Register! Register! Register! Register!Register! Register! Register! Register! Register! Register!Register! Register! Register! Register! Register! Register!Register! Register! Register! Register! Register! Register!Register! Register! Register! Register! Register! Register!Register! Register! Register! Register! Register! Register!
    Piggy, We gotta talk!

BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 1/3/02 10:00:33 pm

warpig883
    (1/3/02 10:18:00 pm)
    What? If I do not register I can not dowload the latest virus info every month. The thing does me know good if a new virus comes out a week after I buy the thing and I am not protected.

I will send it to anyone who needs it though.

gpostal
    (1/3/02 10:33:44 pm)
    they really don't update that often ,its a trick to get you to register ,you bought 2002 today but it was made months ago ,since then several thousand viruses have been made that it wont detect ,but it doesn't hurt to have what is suposed to be the latest ,mine is over a year old and still catches them ,if not i just re-format ,becuase none of them are full-proof

they really can't write a anti-virus program until the virus hits

well unless they wrote it in the first place

i don't register anything ,it will just get you a ton of spam

warpig883
    (1/3/02 10:45:53 pm)
    On my old one I could look and see how many viruses I was protected against and the name sof each one. There thousands. When I would do an update I would get a bunch more added to the list. This is worth it to me.

Hey if you want me to send it to ya let me know. I will be glad to do so.

gpostal
    (1/3/02 10:49:54 pm)

watch who you give it to ,if some dip-sh!t registers it ,you both loose

BlackGun
    (1/3/02 11:09:26 pm)
    Read my lips! Piggy! Trust me! To the top! Listen to what is being told to you!

BlackGUN

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/4/02 12:01:04 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Norton anti virus question
    To me the live updates from Symantec is well
    worth it!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/4/02 1:16:56 am)
    Whuttza Viruss?
    Charlie D
    Welcome to TFF Jackson.

The eyes see only what
    the mind is prepared to
    comprehend.

Edited by: Different name at: 1/4/02 1:18:46 am