Norwegian Colt 45. ?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Archangel, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Archangel

Archangel New Member

Well in 1914 a Norwegian arms factory got the license to produce
    colt 45`s ( 1911 ) .

The factory is called " Kongsberg " and the pistols produced
    there went under the name of " Kongsberg - 1914 " .

However when Norway was occupied by the Germans during
    WW II the production was still going on...and in 1943 there where made LESS then approx 500 colt`s that got the
    official " Waffennamt " stamp on the slide as an approved sidearm for the German army .

NOT many of these " rare " pistols exist today I know for sure..
    I guess most of them are in the hands of Norwegian collectors ,
    though that being said I remember coming accros a photo from the war showing a German soldier on the eastern-front holding a
    colt 45....I wonder if it was one of the 500 :rolleyes:

( Note : there where some other colt`s produced , before 1943
    also during the war , but WITHOUTH the
    " Waffennamt " stamp <--- Spelling ? )

I just wonder about the value of such a weapon ?
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Provenance would be the deciding factor. Konigsberg made almost 33000 pistols, the first 96 being the Model 1912 with the rest being the Model 1914.

It is generally considered that the Waffenampt-marked pistols fall within the range of 29615-30535, some 920 pistols, and they are pulling some pretty big $$ with a simply a decent example over $1000. A truly mint specimen would conceivably bring $6000-$7000.

Waffenampt-marked guns with serial numbers greater than this will have to have enormous, rock-solid supporting evidence proving its legitmacy. If so proved, that pistol would be 'uncharted territory' and would most likely bring $5000-$10K depending on condition.
  3. Archangel

Archangel New Member

thx

thx for that , I did come across one three years ago , which had a
    Waffenampt mark , it was sold when I called the owner .

He sold it for approx 600$....NO it is not a typo :rolleyes:
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Actually, the Norwegian .45's were not licensed by Colt, but by Fabrique Nationale. Colt owned the North & South American rights to the M1911, but FN owned the European rights. However, since Colt had the only experience manufacturing the guns, FN asked Colt to assist in setting up the assembly line at Kongsberg (for a piece of the action, I'm sure).

It was my understanding that the M1914 production line at Kongsberg Vapenfabrikk had been shut down in the late-30's, and that the Germans started it up again in '43.

Supposedly, all of the Kongsberg "Waffenampt" 1914s were issued to German occupation troops in Norway.....don't know if, or how, any made it to the Eastern Front.
  5. Archangel

Archangel New Member

I don`t know..I have some info about it back home , but I study
    abroad so it is not accessible for me .