Not Concealed carry.

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Judah, May 22, 2008.

1. Judah

Judah New Member

Sorry if this same question appears a thousand times elsewhere. Its probably a common stupid question.

Years ago I had a PA permit to carry.

I got conflicting information, at the time, as to whether a permit was needed to carry in full view. In other words, not-concealed.

I was (AM) under the impression that "concealed" pretty much meant "to carry", for all intents and purposes.

One evening I saw a nut-job standing in front of the local mall with a huge semi-auto hanging from his hip in full view.

When an anxious merchant notified a police officer in the parking lot he said there was nothing he could do about it. The guy wasn't breaking any laws.

Could he have meant that he was withing his right to proclaim the weapon?

Danka:)
  2. Chuck B

Chuck B New Member

Do you live in Pennsylvania?

Even a concealed carry permit doesn't allow you to "carry" while bow hunting in Arkansas.

Here are two sites that might help answer your question: http://www.handgunlaw.us/; http://opencarry.org/

The opencarry site includes a forum link.

regards,

chuck
    Last edited: May 23, 2008
  3. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

It depends on the state. Washington (where I am) is an open-carry state, meaning no permit is needed for open-carry. A concealed permit gets you all sorts of special benefits, including the right to carry concealed. In addition it allows you to do things like transport the firearm in the cab of your car (versus the trunk) and it allows you to waive the 5-day waiting period for handgun purchases.
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I love this one.

When in Arizona many years ago I asked a friend to hold my 1911 and two mags while I went to the bank to get some cash.

She, a visiting Police Officer from California, explained I could keep it with me, as long as it was NOT hidden. So off to the bank I went, openly wearing my gun and mags. I even had her take a photo as I left the bank!

People here still dont believe that story, till they see the photo. :eek:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  5. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

So, let's see the photo!!!
  6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

My CWP instructor mentioned that AZ is one of the only states still allowing open carry with no permit whatsoever... I like it! :D
  7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Photo on its way, I just need to figure how to get it onto the computer, its the old type, on paper. Where's my 13 yr old when I need him? :D (Oh yes, it's 04.50, hes doing what I used to do, sleep)
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  8. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Actually the number of states permitting open carry is quite large. Now what he may have been referring to (or at least makes a difference) is Arizona has a more open stance to it. Obviously certain areas are going to be more open to open-carry than others. I know on this side of the state (west-side of Washington) I feel much more "scandalous" and like I have to be extra careful, carrying concealed... when compared to back home in Eastern Washington where I would feel comfortable open-carry probably.
  9. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

It is not illegal to carry into any bank in AZ open or concealed unless the bank has posted "no firearms" etc.

I wonder why so many people believe that it is.

As for carrying open, it is my personal as well as professional belief that only a fool wanting to be first on the list of a determined bad guy would do so.

But then God needs to add a little clorox to the gene pool every once in a while. But before you do, could I have your guns?

UF
  10. Judah

Judah New Member

Great answers. So, technically I could save $45.00 for a new permit in PA. by carrying openly as long as I stay out of Philadelphia (no problem) and don't drive. (Problem)

I'll just pay the $45.00.

Thanks all!