Not hot enough for the ol' lady

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/24/02 7:17:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Not hot enough for the ol' lady
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well my better half has decided that in the near future she shall put her Tarus .38 special, wheel gun, in my collection, and upgrade to an auto...She is pretty deadset on a 9mm and will use it as a CCW, but it will ride in her purse. She would like something lightweight, but stainless...I've got my eyes on Kimber, but dont see a 9mm.

My real question is this, if she has to go with polymer...What do you guys think of the Springfield XD? Does this weapon have any of the same problems that Mr Glocks pistols do in the way of lead bullets, and/or reloads? I have a ton of nine brass and will certainly fund her breaking in period, and I love cheap, lead, projectiles for shooting paper.

Thanks guys.

~-~Courage is not the lack of fear...
    but the presence of faith.~-~

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/24/02 11:55:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Not hot enough for the ol' lady
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kimber does not have a 9mm in the lineup.

The Springfield XD pistol is sound. I handled/shot one when they were still being sold at a good price (pre-Springfield) and was both surprised and impressed.

This pistol is what would happen if a Glock and Sig got drunk in a hot tub...

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

bg
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/25/02 9:40:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Not hot enough for the ol' lady
    Kahr makes a 9mm that has a lot of folks saying good things about it's performance,maybe you might ck out this gunmakers
    wares.bg
    www.kahr.com

Edited by: bg at: 3/25/02 9:45:18 pm

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/26/02 2:48:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

DH -

Check out the Witness series of pistols imported by European American Armory: www.eaacorp.com/flash/high.html

Particularly the Witness P Compact or the WitnessPC.

IMHO, for the money, these are some darn good pistols.
    RuffItt

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/26/02 6:23:40 am)
    Thanks alot guys...Ruffit I had seen where you guys were discussing the witness, but I couldnt find anything on it, I've got that page loading now. bg: Thanks for your link as well....
    Ya'll have a great day.

~Edit~Doc, I dont know bro, but the witness looks pretty sweet, if it had a combat trigger I'd buy one for myself, I'm gonna let the wife check it out, and see what she thinks.

Edited by: Donny Henry at: 3/26/02 6:35:21 am

needleace
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/26/02 4:41:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Donny-
    Just ordered the Witness 9mm for IDPA from D.R. Middlebrooks,
    a multiple world champion out of VA. If you're considering the
    Witness, try his website at www.tacticalshooting.com. There are some interesting threads on advantages and
    characteristics of the gun.
    The homebase of the Witness is www.tanfoglio.it.
    That will show you the different guns they make .
    I figured if the current World Champion at the 2002 STI Shootout uses it, then it's good enough for me.
    Hey, if you go to D.R.'s site, go to the Academy's Custom Shop and it has a list of custom work he does on the Witness and you'll find a price on trigger work. He will also order the gun if you wish. There are also some 'target/ported' and some 'tactical' models not listed at EAA and Tanfoglio that are floating around at a good price.
    I don't know if Ruff told you, but there are conversion kits that are available for the Witness guns. Ruff's EAA website will tell you what caliber can be converted to what. Hope this is helpful-
    Good luck in the search-
    -ace

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/26/02 5:56:36 pm)
    Ace, yo, whats up with that "match" in the custom list, wow! I think I am in trouble...I gotta have it, and a compact, where can I get prices on these babies? I clicked on price list and it asks for a network password. I'm gonna keep digging...Thanks!

Just bring on the guns...I'll pay em' off someday! Haa haa ha

needleace
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/27/02 8:04:10 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Donny-
    Just register at the beginning of the link. Real name,
    password, and I think email address. There's no hitch.
    Then you can roam. (No handles there). If you want more
    contact call Tactical Shooting Academy-(757)357-9881.
    His wife is his secretary but you can ask for D.R. and he'll be
    glad to give you the options over the phone, but you might want to eyeball them first.
    I'm with you, after the IDPA gun, I'll be looking at a compact without a lot of the comp. goodies. Just maybe the trigger
    work, reliabilty package and the hi-cap mags.
    Anyway, register and jump in. They don't have as much
    board activity but they are helpful.
    -ace

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/27/02 9:15:46 pm)
    I'm gonna remove my sig, and replace it with THANKS....Seems I'm saying that quite a bit around here...LOL...For real though, Thanks.

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/3/02 6:01:17 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Ace:
    Dude, I hate to be a bother, but I just cant find a place to register...name, e-mail, ect...

needleace
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/3/02 6:57:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Ace:
    Donny-
    Not ever a bother.
    When you go into the website, go first to the tactical shooting forums (enter). After you're in the forum section,
    at the top right hand side of the page are a list of options. There are two options to register, one at the top and the other at the bottom of the list below the login. After that you are free to go back to the main page and wander over to the Academy (custom shop). They use real names and a password. If you have any problem getting in holler back.
    -ace (Mike)

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/4/02 7:36:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ace:
    Mike:
    I got all fixed up over there...The first problem is that I was tring to access information at the Tanfoglio website, and you were refering to the other link in your post, LOL But I finally figured that part out. See ya there!

Edited by: Donny Henry at: 4/4/02 7:37:43 pm

needleace
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/5/02 6:49:17 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Ace:
    Donny-
    I saw you got in. Sorry for the confusion. I never did find any prices at Tanfoglio either and I don't think EAA gives any. Not sure. However, I think if you give D.R. a phone call and tell
    him what you want, he should be able to accomodate you.
    There are certain things that he adds for the reliabilty and function of the gun that Tanfoglio doesn't offer, even in their
    Limited and Team series guns. My particular pistol that he is pistolsmithing for me has many features such as hi-cap mags with special upgraded springs, larger mag release, reliability package, trigger work, trigger smoothing and a larger safety
    and slide release. All of this may not fit in to what you have in mind, but I believe D.R. can take a Witness and fit it to your particular needs. Anyhow, it worked for me-good luck.
    Mike

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/5/02 7:22:37 pm)
    When is a Springfield not a Springfield????
    Answer....when it`s a XD.

This is the HS2000 from a few years back, Springfield bought the company and exsisting inventory....then added $200.00 and their name to it. It is the cheap mans Glock/Sig and though it received good reviews, it is what it is and not worth the Springfield inflated price. This would be a good buy used, they "were" cheap when they first came out. Introduced at $269.00 in 1999. Regards LTS
    T.F.F.