Not only what's it worth but what exactly is it???

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cruiser348, Jul 2, 2003.

1. cruiser348

cruiser348 New Member

Found a rifle at a local pawnshop that both the workers and I are completely puzzled as to exactly what it is, when it might have been produced, heck they don't even know the caliber which is actually pretty rare for this pawnshop which occasionally sees some real oddball stuff.
    On the sideplate of the gun is stamped with:
    Waffenfabrick
    Bern
    M78

Above that is a stamping of what looks like a swiss marking to me, The gun is a bolt action and seems to be a tube fed as their is a loading ramp on the side just beneath the action like would be found on a lever action rifle. If anyone can help or possibly point me towards a possible source of information it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to find out possible year ranges of manufacture, caliber, is this designed for black powder or smokeless loads, and if anyone knows what is a possible value of this gun in good condition with a fairly clean bore slightly cloudy but not rusted.
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

3. cruiser348

cruiser348 New Member

Well, well well, it sure does look like I came to the right place. That is a virtual twin to the one I saw, except the one I am looking at has no cracks visible in the stocks. Is the owner of that sight a member here because if so I'd still be interested in knowing the caliber and date range of manufacturer but don't like bothering someone trying to make a living if I know I won't be buying anything from them.

Thanks alot for the fast reply saved me alot of time pouring over pointless internet sights taht give no real assistance.
  4. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

No, to my knowledge the person who runs that site is not a member here. That was just a site I ran across a while back, and I remembered that they had a Vetterli like one you described.

You can find some information at http://www.swissrifles.com
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

The caliber was 10.4x38 Rmm Swiss Vetterli M69/81....also known as .41 Swiss.

It was adopted by the Swiss Army in 1869, and replaced by the Schmidt-Rubin in 1889......so it was made sometime between those dates.

If you can identify which model Vetterli it is, you can narrow down the manufacture dates some.

Here are some sites on the Vetterli:

http://www.militaryrifles.com/Switzerland/SwissVet.htm

http://www.militaryrifles.com/Switzerland/SwissVet1869.htm

http://www.swissrifles.com/

And here's a Swiss Rifle Forum:

http://pub125.ezboard.com/fcollectorguns35625frm1

They can probably give you an idea of it's value.
  6. cruiser348

cruiser348 New Member

From the information I have looked at as far as a serial number breakdown on one of the sights I believe it was made in either 1879 or 1880. Now just time to decide if I really want a wall hanger since I have no plan to do as some of these sights have mentioned and convert it to centerfire. This gun however is definately one of those neat old pieces that has peaked my interest. But no matter what thanks for all the help, it is always good to expand our knowledge here and there is always that next mystery piece lurking around the next corner.
  7. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

Man! You guys are fast! I was going to say Vetterli :mad:

This is the 1869 model but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]
  8. cruiser348

cruiser348 New Member

Yep, definately get the idea. Now down to the wheelin and dealin, since they don't even know what it is and I have become pretty friendly with a worker there am hoping to scare up a hell of a deal if I take this gun off their hand while also grabbing an FN Hi-Power that they have that I know I want for sure. Going to be hard to get away with the ole "ahh that one it's been back there for months, don't you remember me showing it to you" when it definately doesn't have the same look as the WW2 era bolt action rifles I've been dragging home as of late. Thanks for all the help fom everyone involved.
  9. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

You should negotiate the best price you can. Then, you should ask 'em to apply the "15% ugly gun discount".
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2003
  10. cruiser348

cruiser348 New Member

I was thinking more along the lines of a 25% "I know what it is and you don't," discount policy. Kinda like if I take advantage of you it won't really hurt all that much because you didn't know what you had in the first place. Anyone wish to take bets on whether they take my word for it when they say that I don't need to fill out the paperwork for a background check? I'll give 2:1 odds saying that they try to hand me the yellow form. Gotta say since they don't know how old it is it probably found it's way into their bound book so they will probably ask me to atleast fill out the form so they have all needed information (I have already established that they won't take my C&R 03 FFL).
  11. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Heck Cruiser, you shouldn't even need a C&R.......since it's pre-1898 it's an antique and shouldn't need an FFL at all.
  12. cruiser348

cruiser348 New Member

I know that it shouldn't need a background check at all but my guess is that they won't be willing to just take my word on that fact sicne they didn't know what it was when they got it.
  13. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

That kinda sucks. Cuz if you tell them what it really is, they'll automatically want a couple hundred more for it than they were asking before.

I would just try to sneak it past them and not let them know what it is. Even if it means filling out a yellow form.