Not really broken but,,

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by thisisit, Jan 29, 2012.

1. thisisit

thisisit New Member

I have a new (about 500 rounds thru) Beretta P4X Storm .40 SW. It has been a good gun with no problems except 1 failure to eject in the first 50 rounds. Since then it has been flawless. It does have one fault that annoys me and I would like to fix.

I reload both 9mm and .40 SW also in 30-30 rifle. I shoot light target loads for all, near the bottom of the load data and all work well except for the Beretta.
    When I fire this gun it ejects the case 15-20 feet behind and to the right of me. This happens with both factory loads and hand loads. Normally this is not a problem unless one reloads and wants to collect the spent brass. I become difficult at a crowded range when the booths or tables are full of people. I wind up only collecting about 50% of the brass. Also I am pelting others with hot brass that are many feet away minding their own business. I have never seen a pistol eject cases like this before.
    I have not sent it back to Beretta as reloads are involved they wouldn't want to touch it and it is not really broken, just too much of a good thing.
    Is this something a local gunsmith can take of or something I can do?
    Advice is welcome to tone this gun down.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

First off welcome to the forum. Second there is a recall on that gun for the recoil spring being too light. Most people complain of a occasional feed issue but it also translates your gun launching the brass into low orbit. Another way is to remove one of the two extractor springs. they have one inside the other. Remove the small one and it will cause the ejection to not be so dang hard.
  3. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Helix, that is exactly the opposite of the information we got from Beretta. There was not a 'recall,' exactly, but a 'service program' on some PX4 Compact pistols where the initial recoil spring was too heavy, not too light. Beretta replaces it with the updated recoil spring which has a smaller internal spring inside it and an updated recoil spring guide rod.

This does not affect the full size or the sub-compact, only the PX4 Compact.

http://www.berettasupport.com/applications/php_storm/index.htm

Is there a recall I'm not aware of (very possible) and can you provide a link?
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I'll see if I can find it . i got a service bulletin from them for a volunteer recall on all px4's for feed issues stemming from a light recoil spring. We had several guns here that fit the bill. Guns fired fine but never fed properly until about 500 rounds. Many customers didnt feel that 500 rounds was feasible on a gun that wouldn't feed. 9mm had too heavy springs, 40's and 45's were too light.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Plus an occasional FTE is just part of the game. I have highly tuned 1911s that do it on occasion.. prolly 1 or 2 times out of 1000 or so.