Nothing short of Custom....

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

M Opaliski
    (2/20/01 8:07:20 am)
    Reply Nothing short of custom ...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    First post here on this forum ... looks good SJD!

I know that the title of this one may sound arrogant but in my opinion there is no finer weapon available than a finely crafted custom 1911-A1.

I have tried to go with a few production run pistols and none have the feel of a pistol that was made as if it were for your hands only ... in my opinion there is no comparison.

I enjoy my Wilson Combat KZ-45 ... everyday!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Support your RKBA ... Matthew
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

Bob In St Louis
    Bob In St. Louis
    (2/20/01 8:38:34 am)
    Reply Re: Nothing short of custom ...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a Colt MK IV Series 80 Govt. Model that I bought new in the box in the early 1980s. When I bought it, I intended to eventually do the bells and whistles routine on it. First time I fired it, the accuracy and grouping totally amazed me. I decided to leave it well enough alone since I am not a competiton pistolaro like some folks - it suits my needs as is.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/20/01 2:01:19 pm)
    I have a Colt MKIV 70 series that I picked up this winter
    but I haven't fired it yet for accuracy, can't wait though.

I carry a Colt Double Eagle Compact Officers Model in .45acp
    for a carry gun, it shoots pretty good but it won't shoot
    lead, only jaketed bullets, lead seems to jam it up for some reason.

Glad you like the forum Matt, I would like to get a Wilson one day too.

Tac/SJD

Teeeem
    (2/21/01 12:26:56 am)
    I have a full size Kimber Classic Stainless, and besides the rosewood grips, Wilson mags, and PT night sights, it's stock. It's an outstanding pistol. extremely reliable and very accurate, and as a carry gun makes me confident I can handle any situation. I'm not real sure if you would call it a custom or production gun-it has elements of both-but all that matters is whether it works and you're comfortable with it, right? I love mine and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.

shooter45 us
    (2/21/01 10:44:06 am)
    I own a few Kimbers too. About all they need is a Kart NM barrel to be very competitive pistols. Trigger job is helpful also.My favorite is the Custom Target model ( adj. sights). Works great in IPSC limited and IDPA. I carried mine for 2 years and it would feed any ammo. I carry an Armand Swenson custom Colt Commander now, but my favorites are still Kimbers. Shooter

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/21/01 12:35:02 pm)
    Welcome Teeeem, glad to have you aboard!

The .45 is my all time favorite pistol!

Tac

TYRVR
    (2/23/01 9:41:12 pm)
    I carry an old Colts Combat Commander, with some modifications,.45Calibre, Like Myself, it is old but still works,

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/23/01 9:56:20 pm)
    TYRVR,

Welcome and I myself love the older 45's, old steel is
    good steel, as far as I'm concerned there was a lot of pride
    put into certain firearms at certain perioids from the past and it seems to be comming back as of late.

Glad to have you my friend, please join us when ever you
    can.

Tac

TYRVR
    (2/23/01 10:08:50 pm)
    Thanks agin Tac, I have put A few hours in My old Warriour, I checkered the front of the trigger guard, the front strap, the mainspring housing, and the back of the slide, (30LPI), installed Swenson Ambidextrous safety, bobbed Wilson Beavertail Grip Saftety,(DE-activated) installed old Micro steel sight in rear (LO-mount) and red insert in Front ramp,Videki Speed trigger, with spacer soldered to rear to eliminate take up,and installed Wilson full length recoil guide system with SHOK-BUFF, needs bluing again, but that will have to wait,

Edited by: TYRVR at: 2/23/01 10:43:06 pm

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/23/01 10:21:19 pm)
    If that ain't perfected then I don't know what is LOL!

Must be a fine pistol!

Tac

TYRVR
    TYRVR
    (2/25/01 10:03:07 pm)
    Speaking of the finest example of the gunmakers art,(1911 Colts Automatic Pistol) I built A top end for one of My standard Frames using A Colts U.S.issue N.M. slide with A Bomar accuriser tuner Rib, Wilson barrel, blasted thing shoots really well, but there is no longer any Bullseye Competition in this area,any suggestions as to what other use I could put it to? I also have A really nice Remington Rand slide in original finish, that is not serving any purpose, anyone have A Frame?

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/25/01 10:09:27 pm)
    Tye,

That guy David Buen in Shotgun News has original frames.

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board sjdsports@hotmail.com

shooter45 us
    shooter45us
    (2/25/01 11:07:00 pm)
    Ty, I use my old bullseye pistol to shoot bowling pin matches. But, I shoot about anything in pin matches. The closest bullseye matches I can shoot are in Atlanta (90 mi.) so, I usually just shoot something closer to home. That sounds like a fine pistol, though. Don't let it go to waste.

monstertigger
    (5/14/01 12:42:36 pm)
    I looked at a Para Ord in 45, the new one with the dbl action trigger, it felt sooo good, I may buy it for my start in bullseye if this is a good start, the price of 670 looked pretty good, Im looking at a purchase in late fall. but want to plan ahead a little.
    any thoughts on that choice.

Edited by: monstertigger at: 5/14/01 1:45:43 pm

Tac401
    Administrator
    (5/14/01 1:07:25 pm)
    Re: Nothing short of custom ...
    MT,

From what I have heard it's supposed to be the best
    DSA pistol ever.

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (5/14/01 1:15:17 pm)
    Monstertigger, Welcome to the board. The Para-Ord is an excellent pistol, not a bad price either. I've only shot a few rounds through the LDA and liked it. I shoot IPSC limited with a custom built P-16 and it works well.

Goose3201
    (5/22/01 3:16:45 pm)
    This is my first post but I have been an avid 1911er for years and carry a 1911 daily. IMHO (and not bashing other 1911's), I have owned Colts, Kimbers, Wilsons, and Les Baers. Of all I have found that the Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special is the finest .45 currently available. Yeah I know its pricey and I know Les Baer has a crappy rep for customer service. But Clint Smith wouldnt allow his name to be connected to any firearm that wouldnt provide the highest level of accuracy and dependability for every day carry.

I still own my Kimbers and Wilson CQBs, but I carry my TR every day. Also, I have fired over 8,000 rds through it in 4 different Thunder Ranch classes and it has never had a failure (whether the pistol was clean or dirty). Thats pretty impressive.

Also, this is kinda funny, but of the 6 friends & and 2 relatives I have that carry daily, all of them have converted to the TR Special from Glocks, H&Ks, Sigs, Kimbers, and Wilsons after shooting one. Thank goodness we have a payroll deduction plan at our Company

While I'm thinking about it, I was at the SHOT show this year and talked to several distributors and custom pistol manufacturers and found out that Wilson is outsourcing all of its parts from Kimber. Just FYI.

Goose

Edited by: Goose3201 at: 5/22/01 5:17:30 pm

Alphamale
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (5/22/01 3:41:31 pm)
    Welcome to the board Goose
    Remember: It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's just fun!

M Opaliski
    (5/23/01 1:37:34 am)
    Welcome Goose ... glad to have you here. I too am an avid handgunner and 1911 fan ... (Glock Convert).

Wilson does indeed outsouce to Kimber for it's frames and slides, as does Kimber outsource to Smith&Wesson for it's forgings.

Mama's baby, daddy's maybe ... who be the daddy here?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

Rons Toys
    (5/23/01 5:58:29 am)
    Goose along those same lines, I heard somewhere that the raw casting that Kimber uses to make their stuff comes from.....
    S&W.....
    Ron

Xracer
    (5/23/01 7:56:48 am)
    That doesn't surprise me. Whatever our opinion on their business politics, S&W makes high quality stuff.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (5/23/01 8:19:17 am)
    Goose, great to have you aboard. Not too many 1911 fans here. I also have owned Baer pistols and like them same for Wilson. And yes he does use Kimber parts. I also heard he uses Kart barrels.( my favorites) Post often. Shooter

M Opaliski
    (5/23/01 10:41:15 am)
    Xracer ... that is exactly what I am saying when I stand tall and proud to own Smith&Wesson when so many are so quick to abandon.

In my views ... not sure if they were discussed here, but plenty at GB ... I support myself by buying a quality product when I buy Smith&Wesson, politics aside, because when it comes to my personal needs one's political view does not factor in. What does matter to me is that I am satisfied, and well equiped ... with the Smith&Wesson firerarms that I own ... I am.

Still standing ...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2003