The Firearms Forum banner

noticed longitudinal"fcd" style crimp on semi auto ammo

833 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
As we know, the bottleneck rifle cartridge lee fcd uses a collet and fingers to give a 'press in' crimp around the neck to the projectile, vs taper, or roll. ( pistol lee fcd seem to default to crimp type as per cartridge, taper or roll )

Was looking at some hydrashok ammo in .380, and noticed a row of marks circling the case, near the lower edge of the projectile, but not below it, you can see the ghost line where the projectile base is, and this row of marks is above that slightly. Very very fine vertical impressions, evenly spaced, and as thin as a hair, making a row all the way around.

Seems to me this is a factory compression crimp. I havnt seen this on straight wall autoloader cartridges before. ( On occasion I see revolver cartridges with a ring in them at/just under the base of the projectile. )

#2 ·
This is a cannalure to prevent bullet set-back. Most commonly seen on older .38 Special brass, but at one time was common on most factory handgun ammo. I have some WCC, WW and Federal 45 ACP, some Aguilla and WCC 9mm, and a bunch of 38 Sp. .44 Sp that have the "set back' cannalure

#3 ·
I'm familiar with the ridge on revolver brass. This isn't old brass, it's new production .380 acp, and the ring isn't at the bottom or below the bullet base. It's more like 1/8" from the bottom of the bullet, and that much or a hair more fromt he case mouth.. since this is 380, there ain't much bullet or case. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.