Now as some know...

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Smokin Guns, Apr 8, 2003.

1. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

SG: It happens to all of us, eventually. I had a misfire at the shootout because I got so interested in showing off, I didn't fire the clearing caps before loading. Had to pull the nipple, clean everything, dribble some powder, and listen to the triple crack. Oh, well.

BB, your time is a'comin'. :D

BB's right about the borebutter. I use the liquid version for lubing the bbl after cleaning. I soak a patch with it and swab while the bore is still hot.

Pops
  2. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

...Yep!...been there and dun that Pops!...especially the one where i leave a cleaning patch in the chamber!... [​IMG]
  3. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

BB, your time is a'comin'

I know it is but I am all prepared with my trusty Co2 discharger when it happens. I keep in my possibles bag for that special moment in every BP shooters life....lol
    As for lubing my barrel after cleaning I just moisten a patch with 3in1 oil and run it down the barrel. I do check my bore often with my bore light to make sure that I have no rust.
    I was learned that if a fellas in a hurry that he best leave smoke poles alone. Take your time and do it right.
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

3in1 is good stuff, but I made the decision to not use any petroleum products on my BP. Just 'cause, that's why. I really like the natural lube, both grease and liquid. And, it smells soooo good.

FN_Project90: These nipples you unscrew. ;)

Pops
  5. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Gunna work on my two project's this week-end...[​IMG]
  6. keppler

keppler New Member

Bout that time of year again. Gotta dust off the wall hanger...hunt up the powder flask and see what happens. I'll post some targets before halloween...I picked up a dancing, singing werewolf last night...oh yeah, back to shooting:D

Was deer hunting one time, had a little spike walk up to about 20 yards and decided to take him, pulled the trigger and POP....cap went off but nothing else...deer just hopped around a bit and looked at me like I was nutz, put a new cap on and same thing...deer just hopped around and looked at me again like" leave me alone I'm lookin for a girl friend".
    I kid you not, this went on for 10 caps before I finally just gave up, the spike never ran of until I stood up.
    It had rained the night before and I guess the powder had drawed moisture or something. I had to take the nipple out, poke some powder in and finally got the gun to shoot.
    The joys of BP hunting;)
  7. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I've not gone so far as 10 caps, but I did have a coyote walk up to within about 20 feet of my blind, while I was dribbling powder into the bolster and getting the nipple back in. I was getting real nervous before I got the rifle back in service.

Pops