Now I need a decent .223 Case trimmer

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bobpayne44, Sep 10, 2011.

1. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The Lee outfit works for me, but I do small numbers at a time.
  2. Twicepop

Twicepop Active Member

You want to trim a lot of cases and don't want to spend all day doing it, get a Lyman power trimmer with a carbide cutter. You can do about a hundred and hour with one of these, and I've never had a problem with the case mouth not being square.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for thoses who didn't
  3. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

4. Twicepop

Twicepop Active Member

I've had a Lyman power trimmer with a carbide cutter head for several years now. It cuts brass like a warm knife through butter, will do a hundred plus an hour without working up a sweat, it also holds length to .001-.002" of set point. I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  5. medalguy

medalguy Member

The Lyman is less expensive, that's for sure, but with my Dillon trimmer I can size AND trim about 600 cases an hour. One evening I finished 3,000 5.56 cases after dinner. I don't think ANY trimmer can come close to that.
  6. al45lc

al45lc New Member

I just bought the Hornady Lock N Load case prep center. It trims, chamfers and deburrs all in one unit, and has space for a primer pocket reamer for Mil brass. Last night after a short setup I was cranking out 4 rounds per minute of 5.56 once fired, trimmed chamfered and primer pockets reamed and cleaned, ready to go on the progressive. I bought this because I hate prepping brass ( the only step I dislike in loading), especially when I have several thousands rounds of Mil spec stuff.
    So far, I must say this unit, although expensive compared to some ($332.00 from Midway) is the best thing I have ever purchased for the bench.
    It came complete with pilots and shell holders for about 80% of the calibers out there, all I had to buy extra was the primer pocket reamer for crimp removal.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  7. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

For fast, bulk trimming, you can't beat a Giraud. Here is my review that has been cross-posted on several other sites when your question was asked there. But it ain't cheap.

I have a hungry M1A, a pair of Garands, and an 03A3 that all require regular feeding. That means buying USGI cases by the thousand. These cases must be hand de-primed (RCBS de-priming die), de-crimped (w/ a Dillon primer pocket swager), then trimmed. I had been using a Sinclair trimmer, but after spending two hours with it and only getting a hundred or so cases trimmed, it was time to do as Tim the Toolman said, and get "more power!"

Reviews indicated that the Giraud Power Trimmer was the way to go. A call to them in Texas and my power case trimmer was here within a week.

I had to do nothing more than unpack the trimmer and plug it in, as the Giraud was already setup for .308 cases. I trimmed one and checked it; the trimmer was set a 2.008". As the recommended trim length for .308 is 2.005", I loosened the lock ring that kept the cutter in-place, adjusted it <1/8 turn and retightened the ring. Trimming a second case showed the OAL at 2.005", and I was in-business.

To use the Giraud, all you do is stick a case into the trimmer hole and the rapidly revolving cutter trims it to the proper length, then de-burs and chamfers--all in 2-seconds. You cannot over-trim cases and cannot get injured as the cutter is enclosed within a plexiglass and aluminum housing. Only cases are put in "harms' way".

Within an hour of first use, I had trimmed several hundred cases and gotten a blister on one finger from holding the cases against the cutter's torque. I began wearing a leather glove on my right hand and holding cases is easier and less strain on my thumb and fingers. Also, the trimmer is designed to be used either horizontally or vertically and carries a lifetime warranty.

The only downside to the Giraud is the price. With an additional cutter for 30/06 and shipping, the damage to my credit was $482. Additional cutters are available for calibers ranging from .17 Fireball to .50BMG. And if the caliber of your choice isn't on their list, Giraud says they can make it for you. Recommended.

I need to find more brass to trim. :guntootsmiley:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I took an RCBS priming tool and modified it so I can adjust it precisely and I can set it up on my drill press and fly through the brass. It comes in handy for big quantities. I use the lee trimmers with it. Then, when I have a few, I do the drill thing. Lee is cheap and accurate.
  9. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I use the lee trimmer with a cordless drill.

To me there is no faster way.
  10. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

11. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

hello, I'm late getting to this thread but I wanted to chime in anyway.;)

I have been using a Lee lock stud and manual case trimmer with a cordless drill, esp for small batches and I had a Lyman lathe style manual trimmer that a buddy has on loan to me

This past week I found a hord of RCBS equipment on Craigslist and one of the things in there was a RCBS Trim Pro with the attachment that deburs the inside and outside of the neck opening all at once.

I never knew what I was missing here... Now it trims and deburs all in one step and the neck lips are smooth as a baby's bottom

As far as a manual set up goes, I think that is the cadillac of all of them.
  12. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member