Now, THAT'S a bachelor's party

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by armedandsafe, Jul 4, 2007.

1. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Just got back from a bachelor's party. Hoooooweeee!

A few weeks ago, one of my fellow bus drivers, a Baptist Minister, was ruminating on what kind of bachelor's party he wanted to throw for the last daughter's fiancee. In the course of the discussion (OK, monologue) he mentioned he would like to take them shooting, but had lost his favorite shooting gully to developers. Soooo, I heard myself say, "I'll host you guys out at the range. There shouldn't be many nuts errrrr other shooters out on the 4th."

We started at about 08:30, when I met Pastor Fred, his adult son, the groom2be and the best man at the gate to the range. I unlocked and we headed down to the 50yard lanes. I gave my usual little spiel about safety, I apologized to the groom2be for not having my formal, white-with-lace shotgun available for this party, and then we began to unload guns. They had brought a Marlin .22 semiauto rifle and a Woodsman target pistol. I unloaded my Savage Mark II, the Nylon 66, the 03A3, the 8mm Mauser in Scout configuration, the Dan Wesson .357, the Ruger P85, the Rohm .22 revolver, the Remington 1858 .44 caliber revolver, the old Hawken .50 and the new Hawken .50. Then I set out 2500 rounds of .22LR, 80 rounds of 30-06, 120 rounds of 8mm, 3 possibles bags, drinking water, wash water, 24 iced cans of soda pop, and targets.

To make a long story short, they went through about 750 rounds of .22LR, 50 rounds of 8mm GI, 75 rounds of 30-06 GI and 5 rounds of 30-06 commercial (more story on those 5 rounds, later.) I had to refill the field powder flasks twice and broke into the second box of .454 round ball. Somebody found my bag of 250 grain .50cal hunting slugs and depleted them badly.

About 14:00, I recognised that they were starting to sag, so I broke out the hi-viz targets. I taped a John Adams dollar coin to the bull of 5 targets and told them about the rules of the game: "Choose your weapon, one round, hit it and you keep it. However, to make it fair for the non-shooters, we'll call it one load. That means 5 rounds in the big-bores, 10 rounds in the .22 rifles and one magazine or cylinder in any of the pistols. If you really want to use the black powder rifle, 5 rounds." They each signed a target and posted them out at 50 yards. Pastor Fred hit his dollar on his 5th shot and it just flat disappeared. When they were all done shooting, I called the range cold, but they stopped me. I had made 5 targets, there were 4 of them, I had to shoot. OOOOOOPS.

I grabbed the 03A3 and loaded up, thinking how I'd been shooting only black powder for over a year. UH-OH. Sat down at the bench and popped off a round. John was on the spotting scope and he, very casually, said, "You hit it." HUH???? I CAN'T be THAT lucky. Yup, I took the wig off of Mr. Adams. :D :D :D I just shrugged and unloaded the other 4 rounds. :D

They all had a GREAT time, and I had one of the most enjoyable shooting fests I've attended in many a moon.

Now, THAT'S what I call a bachelor's party.

Pops
  2. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

sounds like a great time was had by all:)
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

4. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

A little on the tame side compared to the bachelors parties I've been to... but I'm glad everybody had a hoot.

<no strippers?! :( >
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Have you ever thrown one for the pastor? :D:D:D

Pops
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Sounds like a great time, Pops !!!!!
  7. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

sounds like a great time, I havent been to a bachelor party in years...all my friends are already hitched and miserable
  8. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    I'll never understand why they call it a "party".......:rolleyes:

"Bachelor Wake"....:eek: ...now I could understand that term.....:D
  9. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

10. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:D :D :D now that sounds like an awesome bachelor party!!
  11. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

That's different, in a good way. :D
  12. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Sounds like a lot more fun than the 'get drunk and the dancing girl' thing.

Congrats on a great outing.
  13. cec

cec New Member

Those are becoming quite popular at my range. The party starts at the range, then a round or two of golf, etc.

While the dancing girls and get drunk thing is still popular, I see the trend going to an all day event.
  14. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Good point, Pops. I stand corrected.

But maybe, just maybe, the pastor WOULD like a little dance and drink before voluntarily surrendering his freedom. It's possible. :rolleyes:

Gotta tell you a culture shock moment that you may or may not appreciate. Half of my family (mother's side) were/are very southern Church of Christ members. My Grandfather was a pastor and my uncle is a pastor. My father's side of the family is Catholic (yankees). We grew up more Catholic than Church of Christ, but had plenty of both. Needless to say the cultures can be very different! Which leads me to my story.

While I was in college my uncle was the longtime pastor of an ENORMOUS Church of Christ in Gainesville, Florida (home of the Gators. Yuk.). My cousin was getting married at the Church and, of course, I was invited along with my siblings. Now, to set the stage of expectations, most weddings I had experienced to date were in Catholic, or Episcopal, or Lutheran Churches. So, I was used to pagentry, amazing organs, stained glass, and wedding receptions that absolutely rock... live band, carved roast beef station, bride dancing with her father to the song "Daddy's little girl", garter toss, toasts from friends and family, and on and on.

OK. At the time I was in the Air Force ROTC in my sophmore year ready to sign my life away to Uncle Sam, and wore my dress blues to the wedding. My brother was a Naval Officer at the time (Lieutenant as I recall, at NAS Pensacola) and he wore his dress whites.

At the service, the extent of the music was a guy with a violin and a lady with an oboe. No organ, no piano, no soloist. The only song we recognized was "Precious and few" by Climmax (a secular tune, and a pretty good one too). No Ave Maria, Amazing Grace, Old Rugged Cross, Let there be peace on earth, Morning has broken, and so on. So, I'm thinking to myself "Geeeeeeeez, my uncle has really cheaped out on his own daughters wedding. I'm seriously embarrassed." But the reception will go down in the history books.

Everyone was invited to "join the bride and groom" in what looked like a social hall, which was a part of the back of the church. When we arrived, there were finger sandwiches (not even fair to classify them as hors d'oerves, filled with deviled ham, egg salad, and stuff I couldn't identify) and a punch bowl with a creamy green liquid in it. I asked someone what "that" was. They replied "7-Up and mint green sherbet." And then I asked where the reception was going to be held. And the guy says, "THIS IS the reception!"

Well if I was embarrassed for my cousin at the spartan nature of the wedding, I was mortified for her at the ice cream social nature of the reception. No food, no music, no dance with the bride, no varieties of drinks, no toasts, and one speech (my uncle). If that wasn't bad enough, some guy came over to my brother and I (we were standing in a corner in our military uniforms trying to look entertained) when a guy came over to us with a Benny Hinn kind of hairdo (flamboyantly coiffed) and a twang that would make Cletus from Gunsmoke sound like James Earl Jones. Anyway, he introduced himself and asked who we were. We shook his hand and told him who we were. After some small talk, he asked us if we were Christians (odd question to ask, I thought to myself). My brother spoke up and said "Yes, we're Catholic." At this, the fellow visibly recoiled in horror, and announced for everyone to hear that "CATHOLICS AREN'T CHRISTIANS!" :mad: I grabbed my brother by the arm and had to drag him away from clobbering him. We left immediately and had to go to McDonalds to get some food for our empty stomachs.

It was one of the worst weddings I'd ever heard of; and clearly the worst that I'd ever attended. I can tell this story because my family was responsible for it. Stangely - and maybe it was from not knowing any better - my cousin seemed oblivious to the watered down, dime store nature of the whole thing. I never had the heart to tell her how one of her fellow parishoners had treated us.

Ah, but Pops, your pastor's bachelor party sounds like a fraternity house riot compared to the wedding I endured. Wish I could have come with you. :)
  15. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Sounds like a great time Pops, And a pretty lame one Pat. Two great stories.

I'm now at that age where all my friends are pulling rings out of their pockets to make their girlfriends cry. Seems like only yesterday girls had cooties and were NOT what we were interested in.

I will save you guys the agony of any of my horror stories regarding weddings and bachelor parties but suffice it to say, bachelor parties among my group now consist of golf and/or paintball. We find it best to keep the groom to be out of trouble. ;)

I myslef am happily single for the time being, but there's a couple of cuties at work so you never know :p :cool: . I've even found one who LIKES to cook and clean, and that would leave more time for me to spend at the range.:D