NRA equivalent in England

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 38 special, Mar 12, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

Is there some group like the NRA in England? I'm wondering why it was so easy for the English to lose their right to have (most) guns? Wasn't there a great deal of protest or did most English people just not care?
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Englands anti-gun groups perhaps? :D:D:D:D

mike
    gn
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

There is no direct equivalent, which I am sure had a lot to do with our lack of decisive representation when it counted. Thre are, and were several organisations for various disciplines. It upset me for example that the CPSA which is for clay shooters and has a sizeable membership stayed quiet when self loading rifles were banned. It didn't effect them after all! I gave up my membership in disgust.

There is actually an NRA, the National Rifle Association here, but it is an organising body, not a pressure group. I also think, and this is a personal view, that many of the shooters in this country hurt themselves by becoming too elitist. I dont mean they were all from the upper classes or wealthy, that was not the case. It was more like 'you cant join our club unless you know someone'. Also 'dont tell people you shoot, could be bad for image, or security, or both'. What we should have been doing over the last 30 odd years was introducing as many people to the hobby as possible. We should have had open days, public events etc. Too late now. I think the chances of getting our guns back are about as good as the banks changing their ways!

Also be aware one of the driving forces behind the handgun ban and the self loading rifle ban before it was the media. In both cases the campaigns followed a horrific mass shooting, like the school shooting in Germany this week. The anti gun groups just needed to fan the flames. When the trash newspapers called for a ban on handguns, any politician that stood up and said 'hang on' was attacked in the press. Even having his picture alongside pictures of the dead children saying 'He says this is acceptable'. Seems laughable now, but the public went along with it then! Go figure!

If I were in the US, I would be a member of the NRA!
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2009
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Tranter you might as well become a citizen. Hell we could use all the help we can get and you seem like a good enough feller to have on our side, judging by the look of your reloading bench you may be a bit disorganized but hell thats ok. Plus you can move to any of the southern states, At least we here in the south wont poke fun at you accent!!
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Sounds good to me Big ugly. Your name there reminds me of a departed American friend, an Army Capt in VN, he pointed at his own face and said 'Ugly, not stupid'.

As for the south, we did support you during your civil war! With all the trouble in the world, I would still come over there given the chance. I know the country and people well, having worked closely with yanks and have several friends there.

Oddly I have had offers, but not one that tempts enough, yet.
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

TranterUK,
    Do you, or did you, have a Bill of Rights that specifically spelled out, that you have the right to keep and bear arms, as we do?

I know you had the "Petition of Right" in 1628, etc. but I'm not sure how far that goes.

Most anti-gun legislation in this country, came after a shooting of some sort as well. The anti-gunners constantly USE this fear-mongering to further their agenda.

Example, the Virginia Tech shooting spawned the recently passed "Veterans Disarmament Act" backed by both the Brady Campaign AND the NRA.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Most of us folks in the South don't call it the Civil War, it was The War Between the States!! :D
  8. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

I disagree gd. I refer to it as the "War of Northern Aggression."
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Chem - you do have a valid point there.
  10. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Hm, We have the Magna Carta from 1215 (I know it was about then because they went from there straight to lunch).

It is a 'bill of rights', it is also very old and mostly ignored. We do not have a modern bill of rights as such. It is only in the last thirty odd years that many of the rights of free Englishmen have been taken away. It has always been in the name of increased security, the fight against terrorism. Originally the IRA and latterly the Islamic threat.

I wonder what this great nation, who controlled 25% of the earth has become. Make no mistake, proportionally the USA has not come close to the old British Empire in its success and influence.

I dont believe in any great plot, I believe in a people who being afraid of their own shadow have been happy to surrender more and more rights in order to further be protected. The quote, 'freedom is not free' would sadly mean nothing to them.
  11. 38 special

38 special New Member

Tranter, thanks for the infomation/explanation quite informative. Hope things get better in the motherland.